• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Collecting e-mail addresses

tima

Full Sticker + Prep
Jun 29, 2010
First Name
Tim
If this has been discussed before or if I am posting in the wrong area apologies in advance. Our store is not collecting as many e-mail addresses as we would like. This is true for both the front and back of the store. Anybody found a great way to do this that really works? As always, thanks for any input.

The following sales motivational tools have a rating of 4.5 stars or better

guillotine parked in sales office
Guillotine.jpg

Hire a new sales manager that loves the smell of Napalm in the morning
images

090817120313_vietnam_466_ap.jpg

Impose a threat of working Bell to Bell until they get it right.
2002537.jpg

Are we having fun yet ;-)

Joe, we're always having fun here on DealerRefresh - Right!!?!!?

Tim - yes this question has been answered and there are a ton a great answers here.. http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f5/i...ng-email-addresses-existing-customers-75.html

Funny you bring this up though. Not too long ago a service manager was frustrated that his marketing budget was all drop dropped. This dealer participates in a "for life" program and 90% of the service marketing budget goes directly to paying for this service. As frustrated as I knew he was, I pointed out that IF they had been collecting email addresses form their customers over the past few years - how much more powerful his service marketing retention tool with AutoRevenue would now be.

My point - some how, some way you need to get them to understand the importance of email collection is for each of their departments. The iron fist usually results in a lot of bogus email addresses.

Email collection tool thoughts.

--Kiosks--
SALES: Harvest emails from sales ups and post sale surveys.
SERVICE: Harvest emails from waiting customers.

BAIT (incentive) NEEDED for customer and reps.

Sales floor kiosk has dual purpose. Create sales rep incentive to push resistant up traffic to kiosk. Create monthly give away for ups that register. This monthly giveaway for walkin ups can also be used for the 97% of web visitors that are invisible.

KIOSK DESIGN: 2 tiers, 2 screens.

• Screen #1 is 19" HDTV w/ video content via DVD
  • Screen #2 is Contest Entry. Touch screen, possibly an Ipad flushed into a podium. Ideally an iPad app for best UI. Otherwize a web form.

Parts Needed?

• Ipad
  • 19" HDTV
  • DVD player
  • One 4x8 sheet of MDF
  • One 4x8 sheet of Formica
  • Custom building*
  • Branding Graphics
  • Video production
  • Web form

Total cost: Under $3000

* custom car audio guys have all the tools & skills to pull this off (I use to own a car custom shop ;-)

The people that see the most customers are the service advisors. Make them collect email addresses. Your back-up is the service cashier. If she is able to collect an email address, and the service advisor didn't, her $1 spiff is charged to the service advisor. Email collection rate increases 83.54% :)

A little harsh? Not really when you compare options 1,2,3. And any good service director would understand and see the long-term impact.

How hard is it REALLY to ask for an email....duh?

Drew I agree. I disagree about the iron fist comment. Make email collection required, tie it to an offer, and then immedieately nurture campaign that customer/prospect with relevant content and offers that make your messaging beneficial and timely. This does a few things first you find out immediately if the email is good or bounces, it gives you the oppurtunity to double opt in and your personell know that they are held accountable for dirty data.
Good emails rich with dynamic content and dynamic offers are extremely successfull. Some B2C companies see response rates in the 40% plus range.
Also, tie comp in some way to collection with SLA's for dirty data with your front facing customers along with training for buyin and I think you will be supprised at how much data is collected and clean.

How can you disagree with the iron fist comment? So you're saying if you are a dick to your sale and service staff about getting email addresses, they will perform and get every customers email address and NEVER place in bogus emails? Come'on mhilger - I realize your trying to send a nice little message here about ROI Solution but how long has it been since you worked at a dealership?

Train your people to see the benefits, lead them and you will get results. Demanding it and tying it to a pay plan will cause some to cheat.

Different philosophy I guess.

Another good way is if you have customer name and address, is to find an email append service. they charge a few cents per match. For a couple hundred bucks, depending on your database size, you might match up 30 - 40% of what you are missing in a matter of hours..

I wasn't trying to be a dick with my comments. I always start with the higher road - explain the benefit of collecting email addresses at the sales/service meetings. I thought this was about getting your people to get the emails and what to do if they won't/don't.

About them putting in a bad email - I always recommend that the dealers send a thanks email from the service director/manager (most CRMs can do this automatically). FYI...this email also contains links to your dealerrator, google pages, yahoo reviews, etc. - asking them to please post a review if their experience was positive.

This will weed out the bad emails - and if there is a pattern with a certain advisor, you can deal with it then.

--Drew