• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Collecting e-mail addresses

Another good way is if you have customer name and address, is to find an email append service. they charge a few cents per match. For a couple hundred bucks, depending on your database size, you might match up 30 - 40% of what you are missing in a matter of hours..

I have NEVER been able to get an email append to work (show a valid response rate/roi)

And, I dont think they are just a few pennies. Last I checked they were closer to $1 for email appends.

Jeff sorry if you think I am saying to be a dick. I am simply saying that if you incentivise and then hold accountable by tying those incintives to clean data that will work. If you set unrealistic expectations like 100% emails on every customer they yes you are going to get dirty data I don't care how you incentivise.

Also you are correct that leadership, training and buy in are the most important part of any program so I quess I thought that was implied. What you do not want is people feeling like there is nothing it for them to do a task. Training, buy in, and compensation (in the case of commisioned employees) can help ensure success whether collecting emails or any other task that may not have obvious value to all.

Last edited:
This is easy. As its been said, service advisors see the most customers. Put a letter on the service counter for the customer to see. Heres ours: "TO OUR VALUED CUSTOMERS: In order to better serve our customers, and to better the environment, Rice Toyota is cutting down on the amount of paper we consume. Our first step towards this movement is to automate our Service Reminders. Please present your email address to a member of our staff, to help Rice Toyota go green!" I think we have around 50% of our customers email addresses now. -DR

I had problems with this too and then I discovered spokeo.com and bought a membership. It's pretty cheap like 5 bucks a month and you can always upgrade the amount of searches.

Sometimes it actually shows the customers emails but if not it will have their relatives, facebook and twitter or any other form of social networking site. Then contact on the sites and ask for email. Walah!