• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Contact Management Nightmare

muchdutch74

Green Pea
Nov 30, 2012
First Name
Erin
Happy Friday everyone,

My store uses Contact Management, which is by far the most horrid CRM for Internet leads and BDC work that I have had the misfortune of using.

As such I am currently in search of an ILM that integrates well with ReyRey and Callbright.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated as anyone who has had to use Contact Management for Internet leads knows exactly what I am speaking of...

Thank you in advance and have a great day!

Erin, good to see your participation on DealerRefresh. All of the major CRMs will integrate with Reynolds and Callbright.

There is a good thread on here where several members discussed how they narrowed the search for a new CRM and why they ended up making that choice. Hopefully, someone will remember and post the link. Unlike other automotive internet sites, DealerRefresh discourages vendors from soliciting on the site. If you posted this on DealerElite or ADM, you would be under seige.

I'm familiar with most of the popular CRMs. In your position, I wouldn't make a decision before checking out Dealer.com's new CRM. This company recuited several DealerRefresh members to help develop that software. I've seen too much software and wondered if the people, that developed it, had any retail experience.

Because of a recent bad experience, I would warn you about how your new choice will incorporate your existing database. You want 100% of your database to be useable. You need to have all of the customer information matched to a salesperson, model, and sales status (at the least). In my situation, that was only true for the previous 90 days. By the time that I trained my people and really started using the new CRM, the install people were long gone. I hadn't been part of the decision and negotiating process and my database was a mess. Any customer, in my database, that was older than 90 days didn't list the salesperson or if the vehicle had been sold. I was sending out emails to customers that had purchased from us four months ago. It also looked like I was trying to scoop customers, into the internet department, that belonged to floor salespeople. Some of these customers had purchased several vehicles from the same salesperson. Because the new CRM pulled information from the old ILM and the DMS, it duplicated the customers. Any mass mailing would send emails to the same customer, twice. Unfortunately, for the dealership, they got what they agreed to. If this sounds like a nightmare, you can't fully appreciate it unless you lived it. To bring sanity back to the database they were looking at months of work manually comparing the information in the DMS to the new CRM and removing the duplicates. Obviously, many customers are in the market longer than 90 days, before they purchase. I'm certain that we lost sales by not being able to follow up with them effectively.

Doug,

Thank you so much for both taking the time to post and your advice.

I had the misfortune of being present during a transition from Higher Gear to Auto Base at
a previous store, and the chaos that ensued came down to horrid planning by management.
The store's single (archaic) server crashed no less than 7 times during that time period;
it came down to resources not having been set aside for a newer,
faster and more capable server that would have handled the install and workload that followed.
Our mass mailing, when it did function, was also sending
out multiple mails to the same email addresses to the point where our IP was in danger
of being blacklisted; who knows how many customers we annoyed into taking their business elsewhere.
Everything from the orphan customers to house deals to conquests were duplicated and
the list goes on and on. The issues are too many to list, but suffice it to say i can relate to the misery and ultimately
the possible lost sales you mentioned.

I will check out Dealer.com's CRM; if the voices of those working in the business helped shape
this product, then it certainly warrants a serious look. As you stated, CRM's often seem to be engineered
by software engineers without much input from the automotive community, which makes absolutely no sense at all, does it?
In fact, it makes about as much sense as me designing the newest tools in a proctologists' arsenal...talk about chaos!

Thanks again, Doug!

Reactions: 1 person