• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Craigslist change... Have you been affected

I submit via vauto so no real changes. It appears to be quicker though.

No issues with PGI posting tool, the changes CL is making I believe are targeting auto posting systems. The truth is any posting system that is filling in the captcha is a daily target of Craigslist. So if you are using one, you are basically a target of Craigslist because you are breaking the Terms of Use. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
No issues with PGI posting tool, the changes CL is making I believe are targeting auto posting systems. The truth is any posting system that is filling in the captcha is a daily target of Craigslist. So if you are using one, you are basically a target of Craigslist because you are breaking the Terms of Use. Just my 2 cents.

I totally agree Steven, automation seems to always be the main target. Subtle changes in the CL system are not just for looks. You'll also notice that they recently changed the look of their captchas. Obviously they're trying to make it more difficult for an automated tool to read them.
Dealers need to be more aware of what CL is doing to eliminate automated tools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Either way, I would suggest other vendors here be careful of terms such as "hacking" and "breaking TOS."

Wish you all the best of luck.

I agree with you that the TOU are open for many interpretations and that no one other than Craigslist has a final say.

As for hacking, a system that breakes the Captcha is getting in the gray area that governs many parts of the Internet (see judge overtuns the veredict): Is Breaking CAPTCHA a Crime? | Threat Level | Wired.com

Note thet Craigslist has always taking action against automated system for spam craigslist spam lawsuit - Google Search and not because people clicked fast on a keyboard. You can find and read 18 separate cases spaning 4 years of litigation.

Strange, received an email account verification email for a post this morning? Had to go into my email, click the link then enter the captcha...
I received it too. No biggie--appeared to be a one-time thing. I could even live with them repeating these kinds of easy, mild inconveniences if it meant that the process slammed the brakes on automated posters.

They are doing this in some sections. Again is to stop auto posting soft ware is the aim of the change. Services and manual posting tools should not be a big deal.

Interesting enough, within 1 day of this change, I noticed several of these auto posting software already fixed it to keep going...

Have a great weekend all.