• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Customers Texting Dealerships?

Alex Magnan

Just Get'm In
Jul 2, 2012
Awards
First Name
Alex
We all know that mobile apps and mobile sites is already an important piece moving forward in our industry. Currently our store is using ContactAtOnce for our dealer chat and also on Cars.com and Autotrader where we advertise our vehicles. I've been looking into the Mobile Text Connect that ContactAtOnce came out with. Which has additional chat features where customers can start contacting you through texting. It adds a mobile site chat feature and also customers being able to contact you from sites like DealerRater. Has anyone who is on with ContactAtOnce used this yet? I'm curious to see if anyone has seen any additional traffic from customers texting dealerships. I know the plus is that it captures good contact information to stay in touch with customers. But I'm curious to hear any feedback.

I haven't used that program, but we added an additional 90 leads a month by adding a text lead form on our mobile site. We are still working out the kinks, but we were able to sell a couple vehicles this way. I've been encouraging people in our dealer group to add this to their mobile sites.

Here is a screenshot of how we use texting. The text comes across as an email that my internet team can respond to. Their email response is then texted back to client. As I said above, we sell at least 3 - 4 cars a month without physically talking to the client until they come in to sign the paperwork.

Needless to say, I'm a believer. The only downfall is that you have to keep your response to a max of 160 characters. So, no BS...just quality direct responses to the client's questions.

text.jpg

Joe,

You mention your doing 3-4 sales a month from it. Day to day how many hits through texting would you say your team is handling?

Looking back at my reports we got just under 20 leads last month and sold 4 of them. So, almost 1 a day. It's not high volume, but they are higher quality. The key is not trying to get their number to call them. We answer their questions as directly as possible and set the test drive appt all by text.