• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealer.com Google Analytics

DrewAment

Boss
Apr 30, 2009
Awards
First Name
Drew
I have a few Dealer.com sites that I consulate with and have Google Analytics installed.

Over the past 4 days I have noticed a gradual DOWNTREND in site activity - but only on a Dealer.com site. So, I compared my Google Analytics to the cc.dealer.com panel stats and they were WAY off. I normally expect a few variations, but we are talking 200 visits/day difference.

Anyone else see something similar with the data not matching? Ideas?

I sent am email to my support rep - who said they are looking into. Just want to see if anyone else sees similar.

Dealer.com client here, and yes, something is definitely up with google analytics on our site. My unique visitor count on google analytics is 30 to 40 percent of what dealer.com and Activengage's reporting tools show.

Andrew, for one thing you are running 3 different analytics on your site....Not good! You should choose one and stick with that one. My suggestions are free Google paid Ominture.

Way too much Javascript brother. They could be interfering with each other.

Ryan, does having more than one analytics program running on the site slow the site down?

Not Ryan - but here is my answer: You can install the code for multiple analytics programs on your site. One caution though; each of the programs send out requests to off-site servers which could cause your site to appear to load more slowly than you and your visitors would like. ALWAYS place the code at the bottom of the HTML, before the /body tag so your users see the content on the site, and the code can load "background" - you might miss a few "quick clickers" in your stats, but user experience comes first.

Also, usually these are pieces of javascript which you include on the page. As long as there are no clashes in function names, then all is good.

That being said - why are you using more than one? Does one have something the other doesn't? Required by a vendor? Please do tell.

Andrew,
Javascript does in deed slow your site down. Having 3 scripts doing the same thing is a little over kill. I am with Drew, I don't understand why you would have 3 or 2 for that matter. All analytic code has A LOT of javascript. I would take the one that offers the most indepth analytics and go with that one.

Google's page speed counts from start to finish. Having the code in the footer could help but you still have the problem with complete load time. You can plant cookies for return visitors to make the site load quicker. Thats great for static sites. You still have the problem with the first time visitors and Google.

I am interested to see who you choose to go with. I have never seen Dealer.com's analytics. Most people don't use a fraction of Google Analytics. If Analytics is truly important go with Ominture.

Good luck and update us when you decide.

Thanks for the insight. I use activengage because they are live analytics and I can see the users while they are on my site as well as where they came from etc. I use google analytics because it provides a little more detail on specific locations of visitors.

hhhmmmm......I think we found your problem! You should be using Contact At Once. Just kidding! I understand the value of the analytics (Knowing where and how) on a chat but I am a bit confused how the live watching piece is beneficial. I am not 100% on this statement so it might be worth looking into but I would imagine AE would be your largest amount of Java on your site. Thats not me trying to steal you unless you are looking ;). I will keep my ears open and when I get to talk to people a million times smarter than me about this I will let you know. May be a while.