• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealer SEO being robbed by vendor!

dvxpert

Push Start
Apr 15, 2009
First Name
Greg
Not long ago we signed up with a 3rd party inventory portal and supplied our inventory feed to them. Unknown to our dealership they purchased a domain name (the .net version of our primary website name) and created a website with our logos and inventory. I use their CraigsList tool as well as their new Facebook inventory module. But, they direct all traffic to this new website instead of my primary website which we have spent much time and money on over the past 5 years. I just checked today and their domain name ranks 4th in a Google search of our dealership name. I am very mad about this as well as feeling taken advantage of. With that aside, I thought I should talk to the experts on this forum before I contacted the vendor and discussed our options. Our primary domain name is taylorsautomax.com

I can't say I have seen this before, especially w/o the dealer having previous knowledge of the website going up. Did they mention this in their proposal? Does it say anything in the contract about them doing this?

If they had no prior authorization, they really shouldn't be building sites in your name. I would agree with Chris, they are probably just trying to help you get more exposure so you don't want to cancel them. To the dealer who isn't paying attention to his main site, he may respond positively to another site going up in his name.

As long as you are willing to send them a check, they are going to do as you say.

Sounds like you've learned a GREAT lesson!

1st thing I'd do is insist that they transfer ownership of and admin rights to the .net site to you.

Then figure-out why that site is out-indexing yours, and either change your site or start redirecting traffic to the other.

Take the lessons you've learned and the power of your ink on their check and use them to your advantage.

I think you are getting too excited. First, they aren't going to steal any business from you being #4 for your dealer name with your inventory and contact info. Your concerns should be in a different place.

Trust: if you feel they did you wrong confront them. You never know they may be willing to turn everything over to you. If they try to hold you hostage by charging you some outrageous fee than you know what you are dealing with.

SEO: studies show that if you aren't in the top 3 you aren't really "in". That varies from search to search but when searching for your dealer name it shouldn't be a problem. If it is you can always build micro sites to battle this issue (if it's an issue). I would also list your dealer in every legitimate directory out there so it will show up and possible push this site down. Facebook, Twitter, insiderpages, etc...This should help solve some of your issues.

Legal: The only legal action you "may" have (depending on your contract) is the use of your logo. Then again you probably don't have it trademarked. Not to mention you probably also signed an agreement that stated something about allowing them to use logo and other branding materials in your marketing campaign.

Solution: Call them and calmly discuss with them your concerns. See if they offer a solution. The solution for you would be to make sure you aren't competing against the site specifically after you discontinue service with them. By all means you certainly don't want a competitor to get the site or domain either.

Keep us in the loop and let us know what comes of this. I am interested.

Relax!--- They are driving it to the .net site so they can see their RESULTS. If they send it to your site, how will you track that? You won't. Let them work, buying a .net is pretty bad though, they should have done a .com, so that's telling me.. The company you picked is legit, but they don't know what they are doing.

Reactions: 1 person