• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

DealerRater Credibility

They are just top of mind review sites. I asked the 4 people in front of me what sites they would go to and write a review on about Anderson. All 4 said Google, 2 said Yelp, and 1 mentioned Facebook. Without direction from someone at a dealership, most people would never know to go to DealerRater to leave a review.

Love the fact this pops up as a growing conversation is going on over on facebook about which review sites dealers find their customers using the most. My fast count found Google at 37%, DealerRater 37% Cars.com 13% Yelp 6% and all others for the remainder.

I have 0 buy-in from anyone touching a customer on getting reviews. :banghead: That said, 37% of our reviews are on DealerRater. I know noone is asking for the reviews so they are as unsolicited as our facebook likes. Yeah, I know news from under the rock...but think about it, with an internet with average of 3.3/5 we're not doing too bad. Yelp has us at 1.5, google 15/30 and DealerRater at 4.5 and we're (sorry Ryan) not a certified dealer. However, if a google "Car Dealer Reviews," DealerRater is the 1st organic listing.

Also. I'd like to note the report I saw at DSES and DD last fall that said the automotive industry reviews were the converse of typical reviews with 80% negative. (anyone remember the origin?) :thinker:

*opps I forget I have a 2nd store now - these are my CDJ numbers

I have 0 buy-in from anyone touching a customer on getting reviews. DealerRater at 4.5 and we're (sorry Ryan) not a certified dealer. However, if a google "Car Dealer Reviews," DealerRater is the 1st organic listing.

Kelly if I may offer a little advice. This is what we do. We tell our customers about our reviews. exiting F&I we give them a Dealer Rater card and ask for the review. We then end a thank you from the dealer, with Dealer Rater link to review us on Day 2. Day 3 another thank you from the salesperson, link again and asking for a review. We do this in service as well, day after any RO closes, we send a thank you from the advisor with a link asking for the review. Each advisor is asking for it at check out as well.

To kick start it, maybe you should offer a contest, $5 for each review, throw up a bonus to the person with the most reviews, $250 for sales and $250 for service over 30 days. DO NOT make it part of a pay plan, it becomes expected I think.

Think about becoming Dealer Rater certified. I can tell you that every week we have people say they drove to us after reading our reviews. We just had someone drive twice from 2.5 hours away on a used BMW, said we had the car, and after reading our reviews they trusted we would treat them right. Being certified gives you advantage of replying to your reviews and showing up in Dealer Rater search, plus take advantage of their marketing.

And Ryan owes me so many beers already anyway. But I am not really selling it, I am giving you what has worked for us. Hope it helps.

Reactions: 1 person
Eley, I love the idea and in most dealerships I hope people understand how important reviews are. I have some great cards and when I get to TO customers I use it and most do go home and leave a review. The GM store now has the cobalt emails going out-but I haven't been about to get anyone to "warn" a customer, or more rightly, start talking about reviews -their importance how they are used or to even expect the email - at the dealership before customer leaves. I'm worried if I set up a few emails and letters as part of the post sale process that without the in store conversation it will be be poorly received.

About a year ago the owner offered salesmen $20 per review for a month and $500 to the one that got the most as long as everyone got at least 5 - they didn't even have to be new sales customers. We paid out $0. However, most do have a bragbook of CSI cards on their desk. The mud about their feet and ears I've found too thick to move them forward. It doesn't help our "trainer" won't bring it up. :youwin:

About a year ago the owner offered salesmen $20 per review for a month and $500 to the one that got the most as long as everyone got at least 5 - they didn't even have to be new sales customers. We paid out $0.

Kelly, One of the most insulting comments I have heard a Sales Manager make, "He doesn't have the initiative to take money out of an outstretched hand". I laughed at the time, thinking that was ridiculous. This might apply to your salespeople.

I promise, your dealer would have bought my lunch for the rest of the month.

I think that in the current state of our society where customers have a negative inclination towards the dealerships, PERIOD, it is not a bad thing that DealerRater is pro-dealer (regardless of that they claim actually).

Call Yelp and and for help (nothingness will happen). Then call Yelp, tell them you are a dealer, run for cover.