• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Display Advertising/Retargeting

My question is why would you care where the impressions are from if you are getting traffic to your site. There are no bad impressions, just bad pricing. If I were to test a display campaign. It would have to have re-marketing and great reporting. Then I would look at my bounce rates and where on my site the bounces are coming from. Its not all about moving metal, make sure you have a service element to grow other parts of your business.

A few other companies you can check out their display offerings are:

The One Platform Bringing the Local Internet in Reach. | ReachLocal Corporate
AdReady | Online Advertising: Design, Target, Run and Optimize Banner & Video Campaigns
&
advertising.yahoo.com

Good luck!

Greg,

I could not adamantly disagree more with you on your quote, "there are no bad impressions, just bad pricing". We engage our dealers in Behavioral Targeting, which means we are targeting users...not websites. We aren't targeting demographics...we are targeting in-market auto shoppers based on their online behavior.

There are plenty of companies who sell "traffic" to your website, and g-d knows where these users are coming from. The result is that your brand new traffic that you just spent a whole bunch of money on is converting at 0% on your website.

Reach Local doesn't release their network, so their clients have no idea where their ads are showing up, and the AdReady and Yahoo platforms are do-it-yourself with horrible creative capabilities.

If Bounce Rate is the only metric you are gauging success from, then I highly suggest consulting with a professional firm before spending money on any Display Advertising.

Good luck

Terrence,

Behavior has its flaws also. As a matter of fact all advertising does. You are right, Its not just about traffic to the site. Its about engagement. I'm suggesting that you look at your bounce rate to see if you are getting quality traffic. Find out where the visitors are leaving your site from and why. It could be the site, not the visitor. Hold your advertising reps accountable to the traffic they do bring you.

Lets dig into behavioral targeting a bit more. If everyone who is reading about automotive or on auto sites is in the market for a new car, that would be perfect. Now lets just take my habits or online behaviors for example. I love cars. I read 2 to 3 articles a day about autos. I work with dealers so I am on a variety of automotive related sites. With that my browser now has cookies which Yahoo or other Ad networks will look at and suggest that I am "in Market". I am not. I have the car(s) that I have always wanted and love to drive. So I am a waste of an inflated CPM for a dealer. Now I am not the norm, I am the exception. The "Behavior" is acquired by the sites people visit and articles they are reading...

Lets look at the norm. Lets say that 2% of the people are "In Market" for a vehicle at any given time. Should you only target people who's online behavior is of shopping or researching vehicles? Or should you spend less on a CPM and build awareness about your brand? If I can work with a company like ReachLocal and get less then $2 CPM to help build my brand, build awareness, and capture visitors on any website plus remarketing back to them once they have visited my site. I think that is a win because of the lower investment I should be able to get greater returns. If I am getting quality traffic - that converts. I could also look at the Adready, Colbalt, Yahoo, or ad networks available that do the exact same or close to ReachLocal. I dont know if I need to know what sites my ads are being placed on if the company I am working is doing actual engagement based optimization and moving my budget to sites that are producing results. This is where I have to be involved to make sure my results are not just clicks to my site but clicks that are driving request/leads/contacts/sales.

Now if I went with something like Vehix Local Ad Network or other Automotive related Ad Network where my CPM's are $12-$25. I could only get a fraction of the impressions for a similar investment. Are the impressions a higher quality because they are on Automotive Websites? Maybe, but are the driving sales, results, RO's? I guess there is only one way to find out - try it all out - who has the budget to do that?

My personal option is that Adverting is about reach and frequency. Yes, the more targeted I can be and get better ROI for my clients will always be better, but at the same time 2% is not a large number. That 2% is already in the funnel. I need to make sure I am filling the funnel with the budget also. I might need to do a mix.

Behavioral targeting is cool, I'm all for it, but I have to look at all opportunity for my clients and manage expectations. At the end of the day its about results vs investment. Honestly I do a mix of Awarness campaigns and Behavioral when there is enough budget.

Jeff, based on the limited response on this thread, it seems that you are right and there are not many dealers playing in this arena. I'm curious where dealers are spending their digital spend if they are not doing display. Are they on their local newspapers online? Are they on their local TV station websites? Don't be shy guys and gals. I'm on my local newspaper website. They are starting to raise rates as more people move in this direction so I am thinking of staying ahead of the curb by going another direction with display if it makes sense.

P.s.-I appreciate those of you who chimed in with your input.

Remember that traffic will always be easy to get. There are companies who subsist with offshores teams developing automatic scripts to click ads, or click them manually that will have a 100% bounce rate, 0% conversion rate on your site. Those clicks cost fractions of a cent but ultimately are more expensive than paying a premium on highly targeted traffic that proves to be both engaged and in market.