• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Does Video REALLY increase time on site?

Really tough to tell. Checked analytics on a couple of our sites, and our avg. time on site is actually down this year over a couple of years ago, despite some SERIOUS efforts in the video realm over the last 15-18 months or so. However, our stores are roughly 70% Japanese import, and as I can sit here and count our New Honda inventory on my fingers and toes, I'd have to think the tsunami has had an effect on this number this year.

Reactions: 2 people
Was just reading an article titled "Guidelines to Ensure You Cars Get the Click They Deserve". Written by Greg Wells and hosted in the latest edition of Auto Dealer Monthly magazine - I'd link to it but I cant seem to find it online.

I wanted to quote what he said in the article:

"Video is cool, but it doesn't stand up to a shopper's scrutiny. Police detectives don't shoot video at a crime scene, they take pictures. Pictures can be studied and analyzed and really tell more of a story than a video. You should certainly use video, but not for inventory"

That's a strong statement after reading this thread and some of the statistics provided.

For inventory - Video vs Photos. Photos are better than video??

Greg Wells, how in the world did you miss auditing the vehicle options and packages? For example, the Chevy Avalanche base as compared to the stuffed LTZ has an amazing $13,500 in MSRP. The features and options list to the LTZ is mind boggling. A managers Job #1 is to forget everything and PERSONALLY audit your 10 most expensive used vehicles. I see the LAZY work all over, managers would freakout if they took the time to audit the 10 most expensive units.

If the options are documented perfectly, then move on to other areas.

We all know how a great walk around can win over a customer, Your comments on video's inability to influence a shopper are totally incorrect. What were you thinking with the Police Crime Scene reference? Using your logic, why isn't ESPN sports center broadcast with snapshots? Lets say you were shopping for a new home, you cant tell me that a well done walk around video will deliver nuances that a bullet list and stills can't deliver.

I found new respect for the Chrysler 300 from this masterful walk around.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Are we the cause for the GMs to hate digital stuff?

Look at this thread; we don't really know if it works or not. JQUINN even says "Really tough to tell" while Alex on the other hand says "When we added video to CheckeredFlag.com the time on site definitely jumped up."

Do you realized that this is $300~$500 for advanced automated videos? Do you realized that is the cost of an ad or two on TV? or for that fact, probably for 2 line classifieds in the newspaper?

I will say: Whatever digital, if it is affordable, newish, has cool factor--take one TV commercial down and instead add this to your budget.

Reactions: 1 person
The All New 2010 Nissan Versa SV Feldmann Nissan Bloomington Minneapolis MN New Walk Around - YouTube

Video absolutely increases time on site! But as many have already said, quality and content are KEY.

Have some fun, but not too much. Keep it about the car, and try finding a few fun phrases that work for you, to set you apart.

And make sure to save your bloopers in a very safe place. You do NOT want them getting in to the wrong hands!

Peace out,

Erin M.

Erin,

OUTSTANDING! We have had a few dealers ask us about this model and we have said that when you put a person in front of the camera with the car you are selling you better be sure to have someone with the talent to enhance not detract.