• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

DTC -Detriot Trading Company – now has Yahoo Auto's - Anyone using?

Casey Longest

Push Start
Aug 10, 2012
First Name
Casey
I was approached by this company and am looking for some fresh lead sources on a small budget, just haven't heard much about this. I am 2 weeks into my new job as BDC manager and have a big job ahead of me, switched brands and am in a whole different world now plus am starting pretty much from scratch. Our website is a mess, no photos, color codes in description, reviews are horrilble. I know I need to work on SEO and SEM and am planning to do some videos and photos too as well as get the inventory corrected/updated.

Any feedback on lead providers (DTC or others) or advice would be appreciated.

Other Ideas were ZAG (ugh), Dealix, Vehix, AutoUSA and I've had some luck with KBB in the past, just not a huge closing ratio.

Thanks in advance!

Casey,

DTC is an aggregate of 3rd Party Leads just like all the rest that you mentioned with DTM being closer to AutoUSA, Dealix and AutoBytel.

There for a while DTC would allow dealers to purchase leads that were scored out by Polk, but I'm not sure if they still offer this service. Something to look into and consider. Go for leads that score out 6-10 - no matter the source.

After being privey to years and years of lead data, Polk scoring and some other data I was asked to not repeat I can tell you that 2-4 years ago, Yahoo Auto was a TOP lead portal that resulted in above average leads.

Sounds like you have a long road ahead of you. Sure glad you found us here on DealerRefresh. There's over 5 years of threads, discussions and articles (don't forget about the Blog). We're really looking forward to your participation here in the forums.

One of my favorite 3rd party lead providers is AutoBytel and for 2 reasons. They're one of the few providers that grow their own leads organically. They offer their ilead control service that allows the dealer to adjust their lead acquisition by adjusting the circumference/radius and which models to target, in real time.

So lets say you have a stairstep program with Honda Accords OR you have a supply of 2012 Accord you need to move. You can go into your admin - dial back on "other" models and go after more Accord leads. Then move your circumference out a little further to obtain even more Accord leads. Be careful - typically the futher you move out, you're of course moving into conquest areas and then it becomes harder to obtain a strong closing ratio. Conquest = Differentiation. What are you going to do to get these AOI (area of influence) leads/customers into your dealership?

Process - Speed - Fast to Phone - Price - Quality of Response -- All the important stuff we talk about all the time.

I've been very effective at conquesting customers by giving them a reason to come into my dealership and allow us the opportunity to show them a vehicle by incentivizing the customer with a Gift Card of some sort. Customers that are outside of my AOI and receive a Polk Lead score of say 6-10. Now you know you're not just handing over an incentive to just anyone but someone that proves out to have a high intent to purchase a Honda AND they live in the back yard of your competition.

I might be going a little too deep there considering you're only 2 weeks into this :)

Give your website the love and attention it needs. Photos (NEW and USED), competitive pricing, WBFM, Great content, SEO, some Paid Search and don't forget about a solid Re-marketing display campaign so you can continue to remarket to all the customers that were looking at your inventory on your website.

SIDE NOTE and off topic - I see that you're using AOM for your dealer websites. They offer solid websites and service. I also see you're using PureCar Value reports and I would venture to way by reading your comments, you're their Smart Comments service as well. NICE!! I would find a way to work with AOM to get more data from your PureCar reports to display on the VDP. Right now your using only the little graph where you have the options of using their other widget...

purecar_widget_graph.jpg

In this widget, due to the larger size, more data and larger call to action button, you increase the chances of someone clicking through to the full report - #WIN. Be sure to check your PureCar reporting to see how many people are viewing these reports from clicking on the reports from the website.

Okay - I'll stop. I believe I got off topic. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Hi Jeff,Thank you, thank you, thank you! I didn’t know Autobytel was capable of that. I will definately check it out. :)
We are using them as well as Cars.com and a Costco program (not Zag) as well as AT.
I am coming from a dealership where I was an ISM and had a BDM who spoiled me! I was responsible for handling the leads, setting appointments, closing customers, creating the metrics reports and providing input on providers, video walkarounds, creating templates and blasts (you know, what everyone else does that knows what they are doing) just never had to work really hands on with the technical stuff unless there was an issue and my BDM wasn’t around. We, well he, created a Monster lead machine (this was at a Ford dealer) and of course our best closing % was always our own site. We turned on average, 60 to 70 cars per month –our best was 89, before I started they were getting about 30.
This store (Honda) sought me out because I was obviously doing something right (the processes, quality responses, etc) and had the knowledge of what works (just not all the know how). I mystery shopped for 2 weeks before I came in and knew the processes needed a total revamp as well as a good deal of work to be done on the website, photos, videos, descriptions, lease special banners or “internet special icons” on select (overage) models as “Honda Rules” dictate that we can’t advertise below MSRP.
:iagree: Weighing my options, I agree my best bet is to reinvest the rest of the money allocated in my budget towards improving what we have. I am already getting a price on new vehicle photos and am considering Haystacks and Hooklogic, or some other SEO, pay per click or similar something or other. Alternatively, I am checking into changing from AMO to dealer.com for my website as a one size fits all solution. (I don’t have much experience with AMO and nothing against them, I haven’t dug into it enough to know what they offer) As long as we can get out of our contract with AMO, I think it would be an easy sell as most of our dealer group is already using them at some capacity. (West Broad VW, Audi and Hyundai to name a few.)
I was initially brought in to concentrate on new vehicles but.... with the lead volume what it is, MTD 175 leads total, I have just started on that project on as well (after the pre-owned manager asked me, of course). I’ll look into the PureCars widget, the graph is pretty but you are absolutely right, more time on the page and a stronger call to action = more clicks of the mouse = more opportunities. Used cars are a no brainer, if you have the car and can get in front of the customer, you’re done. I got the process started yesterday to feed the photos to our CRM. Um, yeah, that hadn’t happened yet. (Typical used response – Hi, my name is ______________ the car you requested is in stock/not in stock. The price is _________.) The good news: that’s also what our competition is sending, new and used.
Thanks again for your input. I am a bit overwhelmed and am a little out of my element, so many issues and not sure where to start first: photos, our reviews – sheesh, descriptions, crm is yucky, I hate it, PROCESSES! It ALL needs attention and yes, :heart:some love .
I have to admit too, it’s really a different market here, EVERYONE wants your Best Price, we got our fair share of that @ Ford but I would still get them in with my winning personality ;) Our competition is quoting waaaaay below us and we are at or under invoice on new, worst part is the biggest one is in our same group, not sure what to do about that yet, will literally have a customer here or on the way and will tell me "I just got a call from ____ Honda (our group) they told me whatever you give me they’d beat by $200". The ISM there was fired from here, I’m sure she has some vendetta, however I’m pretty sure our owner wouldn’t be happy about that.

Now for the Great news: This is my baby, I can make it what I want, and I'm gonna make it work!
In the meantime, I have a headache.
Sorry for the rant.

Hi Jeff,
I replied to this yesterday but hasn't posted yet, something about a moderator reviewing, I think too long maybe? It could be the Wifi here too, I tried to PM you but site "was not responding".

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks, I reallly appreciate the advice. Hopefully my post will show eventuallly...

Lost my confidence for a minute there but am getting back on track. :)