• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

e-Bay Motors/craigslist

I do not use Ebay here, we have an account and have listed in the past though.

As for Craigslist, we just signed up with Cargigi and so far the results have been pretty decent.

Not many leads from it yet (only 6) but over 4,500 people clicked on our ads.

Compare that to Autotrader and it blows it away.

That is 4,500 views of our vehicles, with our watermark frame including logo, number etc viewable.

If nothing else it is great for getting your name out there... and with Cargigi pricing you will be in the black with just one deal a month.

eBay is generally a tough nut to crack for most dealers.

My suggestions:

1.) Inventory needs top notch VDPs and photos. If you can add video, even better. With other third-party sites, you are trying to generate enough emotion to generate a lead and subsequently an appointment, your eBayMotors VDP actually needs to sell the car. It doesn't matter if you're selling a $2,000 wholesale unit or a $200,000 Ferrari.

2.) Pricing has to be on point 100% of the time. That should be the case in general, but even moreso with eBay.

3.) The person handling eBay leads needs to be somewhat experienced in putting together out of state deals and entire transactions over the phone/email. Nothing turns off a buyer more than a sales person that needs to run to his sales manager or F&I person with every little question. Also, develop a process for your store on how to handle these transactions BEFORE you sell your first car. Nothing like selling a car on eBay to a customer 1,500 miles away only to have your F&I person ask who is going to witness signatures because the particular bank requires it.

4.) Pick up some feedback. I bumped my store's feedback up from 60 to 220+ by selling OEM hats, shirts, mouse pads, etc. We eventually picked up Top-Rated Seller status and it helped our listing placement tremendously.

Here are some examples of guys that know what they're doing on eBay:
Scottsdale Ferrari - eBayMotors
Steve White Chrysler Jeep Dodge - eBayMotors
Straightline Automotive - eBayMotors
Texas Direct Auto - eBayMotors

I have talked to a lot of dealers who are having great success with Craigslist both in large and small markets. Personally I sold my last car and purchased it's replacement using Craigslist.

Not to mention other items I would have probably thrown out in the trash but posted for the heck of it and sold them within hours. You may want to advise your parts department to post some obsolete parts on there as well.

I use Cyberlead Ad Posting. The posting tool is good for Craigslist and several other sites including eBay. The results I get, most of my leads come from Craigslist. My used inventory is usually what there looking for. Depending on how much i post i get anywhere from 2-8 leads a day. I signed up maybe 2 months ago, in June i sold 5 cars and in May i sold 4, but i wasn't on a full month. It's like anything else, you might have to sift through some garbage, but its in my mind worth the cost. I know I pay $18/lead, for a full lead application for another company and they actuially have the same closing ratio. Good luck!

I have alway been an advocate of eBay. We went to the recent seminars and decided to give it a go. With listing fee's being $52 for a 7 day auction or buy now price, we found it expensive and discontinued the service. The leads were minimal for the money spent.

We had success with ebay when it was $22 per listing / $100 charge if you sold it through ebay. Obviously the trick was to sell the vehicle outside of ebay....hence the reason ebay now charges $52.

There is no way we are going to spend $52 per listing...def not the best ROI.

As for craigslist, its a must. We post everything manually, pain in the butt however it works.