• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

eBay, Has anyone used it for selling cars?

bono426

Skate Alert
Aug 26, 2013
First Name
Charlie
I'm doing a little bit of research here and I wanted to know if any of you guys/gals have used eBay to sell cars?

If so: What was your take away?
What works, what type of car sold best, and was it overall worth it for you?

Also, what was the average gross on the vehicle sold?

Thanks

Like anything else, that you do right, it is very time consuming. Fees went up along with strong competition from independents. The extent of their reconditioning is a detail. I had a lot of people that would buy and not pay. It just became more trouble than it was worth.

Like anything else, that you do right, it is very time consuming. Fees went up along with strong competition from independents. The extent of their reconditioning is a detail. I had a lot of people that would buy and not pay. It just became more trouble than it was worth.

*noted. Thanks Doug!

I want to propose putting some of our higher end vehicles up on there. Like corvettes and GT-R's, I feel like these would be more in demand than the every day Spark or Maxima and would perform better on sites like eBay.

Does anyone else have any experience?

Charlie,

The answers to your questions (can you sell cars, what cars work, etc) are going to be different depending on:

What State you are in (WA is not competitive nationally but FL is)
Your dealer's set up (is eBay the "new thing" or are you 100% set up for eBay?)
The type of cars you have (classics or really cheap white Toyota Corollas for example)
Your expectations (talented people like Doug that can sell sand to the Iraqis realized that they could make more money with less headaches)
etc, etc