• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

eCarList System Wide VIN Decoder Problem

sweece

Boss
Aug 18, 2010
First Name
Kyle
We've been having some issues since signing up w/ eCarList. We notice that many of our vehicles are showing the wrong trim level, options, etc. eCarList is taking the info from our data provider (Dealer Specialties) and running a VIN decoder to get the missing info.

A support agent informed me today that the system is having problems across all dealers and that trim levels are being selected at random. Numerous customers have come into our stores expecting to see specific vehicles and trim levels that we don't have. Naturally, they feel that we are misleading them.

Did anyone get this issue solved? I was told that the only way to solve this right now is to manually change each vehicle. We obviously need to get this fixed and I haven't seen any timely responses from eCarList so I'm looking to the DR crew for help.

Thanks!

Good question. My understanding is that Dealer Specialties isn't sending them enough info, so they run the VIN decoder. Maybe that means I need to make a request to DS to bulk up our feed somehow.

Kyle,

I've been doing data collection since 2001, that doesn't make any sense. What more could DS send? More options? That should not prompt a re-decode.

What could be is that DS data fields are not mapped correctly to ECL so for example the transmission type is not matching their database and that is why they are re-decoding so their search functions in their website and that is why they are trying to "normalize" the data to their system. However a little bit of effort should allow them to map DS directly and straight into the ECL databases.

This issue makes no sense, either someone is screwing your account for lack of knowledge or there is a wider problem they are having with their system.

...This issue makes no sense, either someone is screwing your account for lack of knowledge or there is a wider problem they are having with their system.

Kyle,

I agree with Yago. It's either the data collection people, or, technology.

You've probably already done this... IMO, I'd start with shadowing a DS rep. Pick a vehicle that has had a history of errors. During the data collection walk-around, have them verbalize every step, call out every feature and option. Don't interrupt them until they're done and review & record the collection prior to the DS upload. Repeat on a few other vehicles, then match your audit against whats been published online.

Assuming the data collection and upload passes, compare your record that was uploaded to see if the published data is missing or has landed in the wrong place on the page. Repeat on Autotrader.com/Cars.com.

1st, you'll get a snapshot of the "quality" of your DS data collection player and his DS data collection system (its probably menu driven from a VIN).

2nd, you can work closely with your DS tech team on EXACTLY what fields are AFU.

3rd, you'll end up with a better picture of what the DS systems strengths and weaknesses are.

HTH
joe

Cheers everyone, thanks for the advice.

I don't think that this is a Dealer Specialties problem as the data in our DMS is accurate. eCarList is certainly to blame for the misrepresentation of information for our vehicles, I just need to figure out a way to bypass what they're doing as they didn't have a solution planned when I talked to them.

I remember when we had our custom site that DS offers 2 types of feeds -- 1 that is "basic" and the other is more advanced & robust. I'll try to have the robust feed sent instead of the basic one to see if that helps.

@kcar -- I left the store and the workload for the custom site got too great, so it made business sense to switch back to a provider. Sad day. I'm training to become a Rails developer right now though, so maybe I'll build my own some day ;)

Reactions: 1 person
"DealerID","VIN","StockNumber","Status","VehicleType","Year","Make","Model","Trim","Body","VehicleClass","VehicleCategory","Mileage","Transmission","EngineDisplacement","EngineSize","Induction","DriveTrain","FuelType","FuelEconomyCity","FuelEconomyHighway","FuelEconomyCombined","Doors","OEMColorCodeExterior","OEMColorCodeInterior","OEMColorNameExterior","OEMColorNameInterior","GenericColorExterior","GenericColorInterior","InternetPrice","ComparisonPrice","WholeSalePrice","MSRP","InternetSpecial","OemModelCode","HasWarranty","CertificationWarranty","WarrantyMonth","WarrantyMiles","CertificationNumber","ServiceContract","InServiceDate","CertificationDate","DateManufactured","DateCreated","DateUpdated","DateRemoved","DatePhotosUpdated","Photos","SuperSizePhotos","AddendumDetails","DepartmentComments","VehicleComments","Options","PurchasePayment","PurchaseDownPayment","PurchaseTerm","PurchaseDisclosure","PurchaseRate","LeasePayment","LeaseDownPayment","LeaseTerm","LeaseDisclosure","LeaseRate","LeaseResidual","Reserved1","Reserved2","Reserved3","Reserved4","Reserved5","Reserved6"

"<<<DEALER>>>","<<<VIN>>>>","<<<STOCK#>>>","A","2","2012","Nissan","Rogue","S","Crossover","Passenger","Retail","27422","Automatic","2.5","4 Cyl.","Fuel Injected","FWD","Gasoline","23","28","0","4","","","Brilliant Silver","","Silver","Gray","17879","0","","22665","N","22112","Y","23","0","0","","N","1900-01-01 00:00:00","1900-01-01 00:00:00","2011-08-01 00:00:00","2011-12-19 17:37:00","2013-03-20 18:58:00","1900-01-01 00:00:00","2013-03-19 20:29:00","1","1","","","This Rogue is certified with the 100,000 mile warranty! Local vehicle. Has been serviced here since sold new. Great fuel mileage, roomy interior. AutoCheck Title History is included so you have one less thing to worry about! Is there a doctor nearby? Runs so smoothly, you may need to borrow a stethoscope.","Power Steering|Power Door Locks|Power Windows|AM/FM Stereo Radio|Radial Tires|Trip Odometer|Tachometer|Air Conditioning|Tilt Steering Wheel|Cruise Control|Driver Side Air Bag|Rear Spoiler|Clock|Rear Window Wiper|Console|Carpeting|Privacy Glass|Air Conditioning|Vanity Mirrors|Side Impact Door Beams|Vehicle Stability Assist|Tire Pressure Monitor|Multifunction Display|EBD Electronic Brake Dist|EBA Emergency Brake Asst|Child Safety Locks|Traction Control System|Anti-Theft Device(s)|Auto Express Down Window|Fuel Data Display|Dual Air Bags|Side Air Bag System|Multi-Function Steering Wheel|Airbag Deactivation|Cruise Control|Body Side Moldings|Adjustable Head Rests|Bucket Seats|Head Restraints|3 Point Seatbelts|Front Spoiler|Folding Rear Seats|Center Console|Body-Color Bumpers|Power Mirrors|Color Coded Mirrors|Reading Light(s)|Power Outlet(s)|Outside Temperature Gauge|3 Point Rear Seatbelts|Intermittent Wipers|Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)|Tinted or Privacy Glass|Tow Hooks|Beverage Holder (s)|PASSENGER SIDE AIR BAG",".00",".00","0","",".00",".00",".00","0","",".00",".00","","","","","",""

This is an example of our DS feed on a Rogue. It's pretty complete but lacks dimensions, weights, etc, but I haven't had any complaints from customers since discontinuing the third party decoder in 2012 (saves $300+ a month).