• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Edmunds's No Haggle Video - Offensive?

Should they be forgiven?

Forgiven? Sure. People make mistakes and they were humble enough to apologize. I don't know Seth but the statement seemed sincere and the fact that they pulled it down means that truly regret doing it.

Forgotten? Probably not. My recommendation to dealers is that they should do what their bottom line tells them to do. If Edmunds is working for them, then I don't recommend dumping it over this incident. I am not as well versed as others on the activities of the company but if this was the only misstep then I see no reason to hurt business for the sake of principles, at least not in this case.

On the other hand, if I owned a dealership, I would have a hard time reconciling the perception that the company displayed. Even if it was for fun, it was a damaging type of fun that at least partially exemplified how they really feel. The product itself seems to be a play against the aspect of our business that has helped it stay afloat despite obstacles based on old stereotypes.

With all that said, I wouldn't tell a dealer to dump them over this but I personally would have a hard time working with them. Of course, it's easier for me to stand behind principles when it's not my bottom line being affected.

Should they be forgiven?

Hell yea. If you're in the business of creating content and you haven't had one blow up (like this), you're not trying hard enough.

IMO they acted quickly and replied humbly. It's a great lesson in reputation management. I wish more stores could react to poor reviews in this transparent and humble manner. They get 5 stars in my book.

Reactions: 2 people
Forgiven? Sure. People make mistakes and they were humble enough to apologize. I don't know Seth but the statement seemed sincere and the fact that they pulled it down means that truly regret doing it.

Forgotten? Probably not. My recommendation to dealers is that they should do what their bottom line tells them to do. If Edmunds is working for them, then I don't recommend dumping it over this incident. I am not as well versed as others on the activities of the company but if this was the only misstep then I see no reason to hurt business for the sake of principles, at least not in this case.

On the other hand, if I owned a dealership, I would have a hard time reconciling the perception that the company displayed. Even if it was for fun, it was a damaging type of fun that at least partially exemplified how they really feel. The product itself seems to be a play against the aspect of our business that has helped it stay afloat despite obstacles based on old stereotypes.

With all that said, I wouldn't tell a dealer to dump them over this but I personally would have a hard time working with them. Of course, it's easier for me to stand behind principles when it's not my bottom line being affected.

I agree JD. This commercial is funny...if you're not a car dealer..because it perpetuates a terrible stereotype. The cashier 'dealer' is whacking people on every price. You can forgive your neighbors dog for biting you but that doesn't mean you're going play with that dog again just because it tucked tail and rubbed up against your leg. It would be different if they didn't have a history of anti-dealer mentality moves like HackMotive 2013 project winner of $10k whose presentation said "Make the Dealer my Bit<h!" Or "Confessions of a car salesman". Edmunds could have made a funny engaging commercial without blasting the dealer but for some reason, they seem to enjoy doing this about once per year.

My thoughts...

I used to get my boxer briefs in a bunch over stuff like this. Not so much anymore.

Remember all the cars.com commercials? It all blows over, quickly.

I found the video funny but only because I've heard just about everyone of those lines. But that was 10-15 years ago.

"this is the Ferrari of Tuna" that was funny.

Are these "lines" still being used. They are. But this community (and the others) attract the more progressive dealers. Us dealer professionals that work hard to change the industry. So when we see something like this - it strikes a personal cord. Rightfully so. Most of us reading this is are or have been in the trenches fighting this stigma each and every day. So when a company like this throws something out there, it's a slap in the face. It's 10 steps backwards.

I would bet most the field reps at Edmunds had no idea about this video until it was released. These companies have departments that never really speak to each other. A marketing department that's clueless to the actual landscape of the more modern dealership.

I'm NOT defending edmunds by ANY account. The video was a bit over the top and made previous videos from other companies look innocent.

Here's another way to look at it. If you will...

If videos like this really influences the general public. Let it be. Let that be their expectations. I would only hope they go to a dealer that plays those games. Because when they come to my dealer - the experience will be so much the opposite that they'll be begging to do business with me.

The only way this goes away - industry wide one price.

Allow these videos to fuel your passion to want to change the industry and your dealership that much more.

Then go cancel cancel your subscription with Edmunds. :)

Reactions: 1 person
This is interesting from a piece today in the Jalopnik blog-
Edmunds Caves To Pissed Off Dealers Over Haggling Ad

"As you can (see,) Edmund's the "no haggle" price leaves some money on the table. So if you just printed out that certificate and rolled on in to the dealer, they made an extra $717 dollars because you chose the "no haggle" route. But despite the fact that dealers may be benefiting more from Edmund's Price Promise system, the site can't afford to anger their customers."

As one of the commenters mentions, the root of the issue portrayed in the video, isn't negotiation, it's arbitrary pricing. And let's face it, while a few dealers still use arbitrary pricing - that is more and more rare in the age of the Interwebs.

Reactions: 2 people
My thoughts...

The only way this goes away - industry wide one price. But you'll still

Allow these videos to fuel your passion to want to change the industry and your dealership that much more.

Then go cancel cancel your subscription with Edmunds. :)

Bingo. When dealers start voting with their wallets, it gets peoples attention pretty quickly.

Reactions: 1 person