• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Edmunds's No Haggle Video - Offensive?

I wasn't terribly offended by the ads but I certainly didn't find them in good taste either. They tried, they failed, they apologized. I've had good results on their Price Promise program and my ROI has been great, so dropping them immediately didn't even cross my mind. I wanted to wait and see where it went from there before considering it, but in my opinion are doing enough damage control to satisfy me, so short of something drastic happening, I'll continue to be a customer of theirs.

Update: Edmunds has removed the video. BUT - It's still out there...

BUT – It’s still out there....

Yep, the videos are up everywhere, talk about some powerful link juice and perfect timing with Panda 4.1 rolling out. They're not stupid.

Edmunds.com Pulls 'Haggling' Ads After Dealer Outcry | Digital - Advertising Age

Did you know you can save 60% off warranty's if you buy it on the Edmunds site:)

https://www.directbuywarranty.com/e...?aIC=display&gclid=CLDW-JefxsECFQIF7AodlXYA1Q

Reactions: 1 person
I wasn't terribly offended by the ads but I certainly didn't find them in good taste either. They tried, they failed, they apologized. I've had good results on their Price Promise program and my ROI has been great, so dropping them immediately didn't even cross my mind. I wanted to wait and see where it went from there before considering it, but in my opinion are doing enough damage control to satisfy me, so short of something drastic happening, I'll continue to be a customer of theirs.
Referring back to the Jalopnik analysis, the dealers that use the Edmunds Price Promise "No Haggle" process make $717 MORE a copy than the dealers that use the traditional "price it high and negotiate down" method - Go figure?!

Reactions: 2 people
Referring back to the Jalopnik analysis, the dealers that use the Edmunds Price Promise "No Haggle" process make $717 MORE a copy than the dealers that use the traditional "price it high and negotiate down" method - Go figure?!

I've seen this here in Canada as well. We have a few different programs, but I worked with a dealer who loved Car Cost Canada leads.
They averaged higher gross on those leads than any other lead. How? They played honesty with the customer. They approached it as a two-way street and they said, "In order to pay everything on this end, here's what we need to make" and it was reasonable. The customers came in knowing the dealership had to make some profit and it stopped them from offering below cost.

That said, this dealership had fairly competitive pricing in general so that may be why their other gross ended up lower, but it was an interesting experience. On the website front they almost went down the road of integrating Car Cost Canada pricing into the website.