• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
Do you have data showing this to be effective or do you just theoretically believe it to be effective? The reason I ask is that I also used to do this and truly believed in it. Then, I asked people on my Facebook what they thought. I had about 20 responses. Not one person liked it.

Do you have data showing this to be effective or do you just theoretically believe it to be effective? The reason I ask is that I also used to do this and truly believed in it. Then, I asked people on my Facebook what they thought. I had about 20 responses. Not one person liked it.
The biggest reason for the change is that websites (incl. 3rd parties) were showing thumbnails on the VDPs of just the first 4-9 photos, then the user had to page through to see more. (Now we see the first few thumbnails on SRPs as well.) Also, at the time, we were learning that a huge indicator of shopper intent was photo engagement and we were looking for ways to improve that metric. Ultimately, by providing the most relevant and differentiating pictures up front, we were hoping to deliver a better guest experience. The result is that we measured a significant photo engagement increase along with increased 3rd party lead volume immediately after the change. We've never gone back.

I agree with @pschnell and @ggarvin , capture 1-3 exterior photos, then get inside the car.
In spite of the fact that customers say they hate this? I agree that photos should be in a certain order, but I'm going to do what the customer says that they like. As I said, this is the way I used to do it, so it took me a lot of convincing to change it, but when the customer speaks, I listen. We do the exterior, pictures showing all of the seats, then the hot buttons, and then the rest. When I presented customers with several variations, this was emphatically their choice.

Reactions: George Nenni
The biggest reason for the change is that websites (incl. 3rd parties) were showing thumbnails on the VDPs of just the first 4-9 photos, then the user had to page through to see more. (Now we see the first few thumbnails on SRPs as well.) Also, at the time, we were learning that a huge indicator of shopper intent was photo engagement and we were looking for ways to improve that metric. Ultimately, by providing the most relevant and differentiating pictures up front, we were hoping to deliver a better guest experience. The result is that we measured a significant photo engagement increase along with increased 3rd party lead volume immediately after the change. We've never gone back.
1,000% accurate that photo engagement is near the top of the heap of most important engagement metrics. I think it's the second most important behind payment calculator events.

In spite of the fact that customers say they hate this? I agree that photos should be in a certain order, but I'm going to do what the customer says that they like. As I said, this is the way I used to do it, so it took me a lot of convincing to change it, but when the customer speaks, I listen. We do the exterior, pictures showing all of the seats, then the hot buttons, and then the rest. When I presented customers with several variations, this was emphatically their choice.
Bill, I'm simply letting the data guide me. I've run GA4 reporting for @joe.pistell for a few years now, and when he made merchandising improvements, injecting interior photos early, adding text to explain options, his conversion rate quickly went to 2-3X our conversion rate benchmark (math=forms, calls, chats divided by sessions). Tough to argue against these results.

For your Facebook survey you did, what was the sample size? What were the questions and responses. Market research can be a tough thing without scale and discipline, for me the data tells a cleaner story, with tens of thousand of sessions monthly.

Bill, I'm simply letting the data guide me. I've run GA4 reporting for @joe.pistell for a few years now, and when he made merchandising improvements, injecting interior photos early, adding text to explain options, his conversion rate quickly went to 2-3X our conversion rate benchmark (math=forms, calls, chats divided by sessions). Tough to argue against these results.

For your Facebook survey you did, what was the sample size? What were the questions and responses. Market research can be a tough thing without scale and discipline, for me the data tells a cleaner story, with tens of thousand of sessions monthly.
Won't argue with you on that. Besides, our difference is only of about 8 pictures and otherwise we agree. Mine was obviously pretty simple. I just presented them with screenshots of multiple options and asked for feedback on what order they preferred to search them. And it wasn't that they merely disagreed with having the interior pictures before they could see all of the exterior ones. I mean they thought it was the dumbest thing ever. :lol:

I’ve actually been thinking about this a lot lately. This is what I’ve settled on:

1. The hook
- 2 external (front and rear 3/4)
- 2 internal ( wide angle dash and front seats)
- 1-3 high value features

2. External
A sequence of all wide angle external photos with key close shots

3. Internal
A sequence of wide angle internal photos with key close ups

4. The rest
All other close up photos

Here’s an example

Although after reading the other comments now I’m thinking we need to crowdsource some actual data and try to piece together some proof of results

Reactions: Will G.
I’ve actually been thinking about this a lot lately. This is what I’ve settled on:

1. The hook
- 2 external (front and rear 3/4)
- 2 internal ( wide angle dash and front seats)
- 1-3 high value features

2. External
A sequence of all wide angle external photos with key close shots

3. Internal
A sequence of wide angle internal photos with key close ups

4. The rest
All other close up photos

Here’s an example

Although after reading the other comments now I’m thinking we need to crowdsource some actual data and try to piece together some proof of results
Just gotta decide whether you believe the data or what the customer says. As always, your pictures are great!

Reactions: KiwiDan