• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook Fraud Video

Chad Pelliccioni

Push Start
Dec 30, 2013
First Name
Chad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVfHeWTKjag

I came across the video and although it’s very interesting, I had a few issues with it.

Facebook’s algorithm has been updating very frequently over the last 2-3 years, with reach and impressions dropping significantly after every update. We used to be able to reach 100% of our fan base, but now you’re looking at 2-5% on a daily basis. You can reach more people by using best practices like, what times of day are best to post and what type of content works best (all can be learned in the Facebook Insights).

No matter who you are, how many real fans you have, how many fake fans you have, you’re only going to be reaching a small percentage of them. To reach more, you can pay to promote a post. Facebook is turning into a pay-to-play arena for brands and marketers have to accept it and be prepared to adapt accordingly. Craigslist started charging $5 per car post, did everyone leave CL? Nope. Yelp charges for Ads and to receive VIP-type treatment/customer service. Did everyone leave? Nope.

While monitoring all of our pages in the group, I’m finding authentic new fans being added through the “Sponsored Page” Ads. They don’t ”like” thousands and pages, they are local, and fairly active. It would be nearly impossible to go through the tens of thousands of fans one by one to see if they are indeed fake, but from our recent analysis, they seem real.

He claims in his video that his test page only received 8 views on his post. That’s roughly 3% of his total fan page seeing his post, which is right on par with what you’re expected to receive, fake fans or not. The other issue with it is the post he receives 8 views, doesn’t include a picture, which is a Facebook no-no as they reward posts with images over long text, links, etc.

Conclusion: I think the jury is still out while people are rushing to judge the authenticity of the fans. I’m not saying everything he said is false, but it’s something to open your eyes a little and monitor the daily fans who “like” your page more than you have been. While the entire reach of pages continues to drop, if you continue to use social the right way, your pages will still reach more than your competitors.