• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Finally got the job.. Now I need help!

Joe, I'm happy to hear someone else has found this site so useful in starting from the bottom! Thank you for joining and speaking up. You have gotten a number of really good pointers so far in this thread. There are also a number of other threads by others like you; the search function will help you find them.
I want to say as a person that started with no background or knowledge that worked her way up in a very old school dealer, I understand many of your pains and would love to talk with you to find out more about the specifics of what you are doing, what your plans are and your limitations. Though everyone wants more leads and making sure your best digital foot is forward and shined within an inch of it's life is important, it's your process of handling the leads that will sell you more cars, make you more money and keep you in a job. The better job you do at moving metal, the more room you will have to do what you see as necessary to help the dealership grow. With the whole world before you it's hard to prioritize, but for sanity's sake you must tackle one step at a time. Refine your process and make sure it's scalable and then move on to working on what you can within your dealership (Pictures on cars, comments, web content). From there, site add-ons (HL, trade tools, ect) and changes (adaptive, responsive) would be a logical proposal, followed by outside sites and lead generators.
I know my answer may seem small and reserved, but I have worked at a small 100 year old store and had to earn the trust to put forward suggestions while learning the business and being held accountable. I know there can be push back and the stress doing everything at once can bring. I want nothing more than to see you do well and grow in your new position! Congratulations again and please feel free to reach out!

Reactions: 1 person
Looks like most are giving you more "technical advice". So I'll offer some different advice:

Take a deep breath.

It is great to take the bull by the horns, but if you try and do everything that a BDC Manager, BDC Rep, ISM, and e-commerce guy should do. You'll be so stressed out and agitated in no time.

Tracking. Time management. And communication are key.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Thank you guys! This has all been great advice. I have a huge pile of things I want to do here, but right now I am focused on selling E-leads and handling the E-comm as I get time. It has been crazy, but I am gradually getting caught up. Hopefully, as I get more time, I will be able to make the high impact changes and start implementing some of the ideas mentioned here so far. Thank you again guys.. I will post an update in a few weeks!

.. I will post an update in a few weeks!

The better job you do at moving metal, the more room you will have to do what you see as necessary to help the dealership grow. With the whole world before you it's hard to prioritize, but for sanity's sake you must tackle one step at a time. Refine your process and make sure it's scalable and then move on to working on what you can within your dealership ...

Just making sure you've stayed sane (well as close as we get in the #CarBiz) and to see how it's going!

Every store is going to have a different setup and some stores it works better than others.

That being said, logistics aside-Jerry is completely right. So many sales people are still left "waiting" at the window for an up. Handling internet traffic is a skill that will need to be trained amongst our industry.

SKILL is going to take the work. Not everyone will be naturally "talented", but with accountability on the right training and process there is no excuse.

Great advice from everyone!! Yes, I am trying to keep my sanity :D Since posting, I have shifted back into more of an "internet sales" type of role. We have been moderately busy, and we are down to just me and one other sales guy who is new in the business. We have a good internet consultant in TX that helps with the website and digital marketing. I have the ability to make changes, but as mentioned, my pay is based on sales so that is what I have been focusing on. So far I have really enjoyed working here and even with the extreme hours and never ending pile of things to do, I am very happy that I came to this dealership. I am still learning a great deal and pushing myself to improve our statistics each month. My managers are awesome, and I really like the Volvo product. I feel like I really have a career here. Thank you again for all of the great advice!

Joe