• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Flip...Flops?

ryan.leslie

One of the good guys
Apr 20, 2009
Awards
First Name
Ryan
Cisco announced today that they are killing the Flip. There have been a lot of posts on the forums about video walkarounds and the Flip Cam. Has smartphone technology replaced the need for the additional device for most dealer's needs? Funny how quickly the tech market moves, isn't it?

Cisco's Flip Camcorders Bite the Dust - PCWorld

Is this news surprising to you or not?

Wow - one day I miss out on reading my RSS feeds and I miss out on news like this. I find this to be sad news. I have like, 4 flip cams. I personally love how easy they are to use and the sharing software has some really cool feature that I have taught sale people to use for follow-up.

Reading the article - I can see how they are feeling the pressure of smartphone and the ipad but IMO these are no substitutions for having something as simple and cheap as a flip cam in your pocket. Flip out the USB, upload and your done!

Sorry to see them go.

No surprise here--I'm with John Gruber here. Smartphones and still cameras both got better at video, to the point that the Flip's utility was basically gone. I've got a minoHD personally (won it in a contest at a GM eSummit event), but I think the video from my iPhone 4 is just as good if not better.

(The best is when all your other cameras stop working, and you're filming the owner as he opens another store with an iPhone. No pressure.)