• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Gaining Facebook Friends

This is part of our facebook process at our 150 car lot in Tinton Falls, NJ.

First, as owner, i personally send an invitation through facebook to all our customers who buy from us.

Second, Every desk in our store has a stand that say's " ON FACEBOOK? ASK ME HOW TO EARN UP TO $100.00 RIGHT NOW! " Every one asks what it means and if not we ask them if they saw it. The way it works is this. they have to suggest us to all their friends using the java script mentioned in a previous reply on this post. If they have 250 or less friends we give them a $25.00 restaurant.com gift certificate. (costs us $2.00), 251 -499 friends they get a $50.00 gift cert. (cost $4), over 500 friends they receive a Free car detail, $100 Value (cost us 3 hrs labor 1 guy) .

how do you get your salesman to care? Bonus, the sales person who gets the most friends suggested at the end of the month gets a cash bonus. the second highest gets a ipod touch. the 3rd, etc

Someone above said now why would you just want to get fans that haven't bought from you and that quality is better than quantity? But this is the thing, when someone goes to your page and u have 63 fans they will probably bounce. If you have 5k then they think there is a reason why so many people have followed u. so u need both quality and quantity. Then they stay and look around your page. they see contests, reviews, cust pics, happy people and you have a better chance of them following you. Then when they are following you and you run these contests giving away a detail here and there and a coupon that costs u a couple bucks you stay fresh in their minds. You get a facebook fan who just won a contest into your store for a free detail and the work just begins. You then have to turn them from a stranger into a friend. Then they'll remember you when the need a car. A couple of days a go a customer came in the store to pick up their plates and i heard a salesman say "hey , u on facebook?" she said yes and suggested her friends, then he said "do you have any friends outside in the car with you?, " she then brought 3 friends in and they all suggested their friends. It cost us 8 dollars in coupons but we got strangers (the friends) who never stepped in our door and we spent 10 minutes joking with them and making friends with them. I strongly believe that the chances of these 3 friends stopping back to us if they need a car is 100 times better then if they had just stayed in the car. so it's a mix of online and offline.

Check out our page www.facebook.com/mbmotorsport

First, as owner, i personally send an invitation through facebook to all our customers who buy from us.

Second, Every desk in our store has a stand that say's " ON FACEBOOK? ASK ME HOW TO EARN UP TO $100.00 RIGHT NOW! " Every one asks what it means and if not we ask them if they saw it. The way it works is this. they have to suggest us to all their friends using the java script mentioned in a previous reply on this post. If they have 250 or less friends we give them a $25.00 restaurant.com gift certificate. (costs us $2.00), 251 -499 friends they get a $50.00 gift cert. (cost $4), over 500 friends they receive a Free car detail, $100 Value (cost us 3 hrs labor 1 guy) .

how do you get your salesman to care? Bonus, the sales person who gets the most friends suggested at the end of the month gets a cash bonus. the second highest gets a ipod touch. the 3rd, etc

Someone above said now why would you just want to get fans that haven't bought from you and that quality is better than quantity? But this is the thing, when someone goes to your page and u have 63 fans they will probably bounce. If you have 5k then they think there is a reason why so many people have followed u. so u need both quality and quantity. Then they stay and look around your page. they see contests, reviews, cust pics, happy people and you have a better chance of them following you. Then when they are following you and you run these contests giving away a detail here and there and a coupon that costs u a couple bucks you stay fresh in their minds. You get a facebook fan who just won a contest into your store for a free detail and the work just begins. You then have to turn them from a stranger into a friend. Then they'll remember you when the need a car. A couple of days a go a customer came in the store to pick up their plates and i heard a salesman say "hey , u on facebook?" she said yes and suggested her friends, then he said "do you have any friends outside in the car with you?, " she then brought 3 friends in and they all suggested their friends. It cost us 8 dollars in coupons but we got strangers (the friends) who never stepped in our door and we spent 10 minutes joking with them and making friends with them. I strongly believe that the chances of these 3 friends stopping back to us if they need a car is 100 times better then if they had just stayed in the car. so it's a mix of online and offline.

Jesse,

Way to add some great ideas. I can't imagine how long it would take to get 12000 fans like Marlboro Nissan if you weren't using the script.

Jesse,

You should try a coupon system on your page. I'm sure with 5000 fans you could get some conversion. I like this one:

free image hosting

Second, Every desk in our store has a stand that say's " ON FACEBOOK? ASK ME HOW TO EARN UP TO $100.00 RIGHT NOW! "

Very nice work Jesse. I'd love to know if your website is getting --->new<--- visitors from FB. Have your geeks look into your Google Analytics to see if your FB friends are referring others to visit you.

You can also look into the quality of your FB visitors with this tweak: http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f43/facebook-1-referrer-my-site-1321-2.html#post10848.

Again, very nice work!

Last edited:
Someone above said now why would you just want to get fans that haven't bought from you and that quality is better than quantity?

I made this comment and still stand behind it. The DIFFERENCE between what I was referring to and what YOU'RE doing is tremendous though.

What I was referring to was people who are randomly trying to get as many friends as possible on Facebook for the sheer sake of numbers. If you notice, I did say that you should let your page grow organically and market it at your dealership.

I think what you're doing is great, personally. Offering incentives to your CUSTOMERS to suggest your page to their friends is exactly what you should be doing. Chances are great that a good many of their friends are in your community and those are the fans that you want.

The more fans you have the better, I agree, but ONLY if the majority of the fans could potentially do business with you. If you, as a dealership, have a fan page full of random strangers outside your PMA and/or vendors, your marketing is useless.

Your marketing program for Facebook is great and exactly what dealerships should be doing. Every time you get a CUSTOMER to suggest your page to their friends, you're scoring great exposure. Word of mouth and recommendations are invaluable. Good job!