• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

GM –Cobalt “Digital Ad Package†– are you getting a return?

Eley Duke

Boss
Nov 30, 2009
Awards
First Name
Eley
GM Cobalt "Digital Ad Package", are you getting a return?

To all GM dealership "internet/bdc/digital/e-commerce" managers; what is your take on the GM – Cobalt Digital Ad Package Program?

Our dealership has been participating for 2 years now, (at the expense of $3,000 a month) first with Cadillac, now with Chevrolet. We have the “required” GM Cobalt site, however we are going to make that secondary and use a dealer.com site as our primary. When that was relayed to Cobalt they sent someone to the dealership to talk to me, yet not one time since being a Cobalt dealer have I ever had anyone come to the dealership or talk to me about the DAP, only the advocate over the phone with the reports.

The Cobalt rep basically came across that I was crazy that I was going to make Cobalt my secondary site, and really started the hard sell when I said I was thinking of turning off the DAP program. I was just waiting for her to jump up and yell at me “have you lost your #$&!)@$ mind”! And she even used the line, "look, I dont get paid any extra if your doing DAP or not, but you need to be doing this or you're going to really lose a lot of visibility......yada yada yada" - wow, I have never heard that trick used! When I asked the Cobalt rep, “what is the average ROI and average % sales increase your dealers are seeing with DAP”, she couldn’t answer the question.

I am not a wiz kid, but I know how the DAP program works to some extent. Point is I have never been able to track or see a real return on the DAP program. I never saw a difference that it made except all the Cobalt reports telling me I have a million impressions and all these leads, which I am still trying to find 2 reports inside GM and Cobalt that will match up the data!

I am interested in hearing from internet/bdc/digital/e-commerce (what ever your title is) mangers, what is your opinion on the Cobalt DAP, is anyone doing any tracking or able to track a real return on the DAP? What are your thoughts on it and what have you don with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: GM Cobalt "Digital Ad Package", are you getting a return?

To all GM dealership "internet/bdc/digital/e-commerce" managers; what is your take on the GM – Cobalt Digital Ad Package Program?

Our dealership has been participating for 2 years now, (at the expense of $3,000 a month) first with Cadillac, now with Chevrolet. We have the “required†GM Cobalt site, however we are going to make that secondary and use a dealer.com site as our primary. When that was relayed to Cobalt they sent someone to the dealership to talk to me, yet not one time since being a Cobalt dealer have I ever had anyone come to the dealership or talk to me about the DAP, only the advocate over the phone with the reports.
The Cobalt rep basically came across that I was crazy that I was going to make Cobalt my secondary site, and really started the hard sell when I said I was thinking of turning off the DAP program. I was just waiting for her to jump up and yell at me “have you lost your #$&!)@$ mindâ€! And she even used the line, "look, I dont get paid any extra if your doing DAP or not, but you need to be doing this or you're going to really lose a lot of visibility......yada yada yada" - wow, I have never heard that trick used! When I asked the Cobalt rep, “what is the average ROI and average % sales increase your dealers are seeing with DAPâ€, she couldn’t answer the question.
I am not a wiz kid, but I know how the DAP program works to some extent. Point is I have never been able to track or see a real return on the DAP program. I never saw a difference that it made except all the Cobalt reports telling me I have a million impressions and all these leads, which I am still trying to find 2 reports inside GM and Cobalt that will match up the data!
I am interested in hearing from internet/bdc/digital/e-commerce (what ever your title is) mangers, what is your opinion on the Cobalt DAP, is anyone seeing a real return. Has anyone dumped this and seen any difference? Does anyone feel they are helping Cobalt and GM just get fatter?

That is the exact setup that we have here. Our Dealer.com is our primary site and the Cobalt site is just kinda there. We were somewhat strong-armed into the site to begin with but our store has been anti-Cobalt for almost a decade. I have met our local rep one time and it was for a meeting much like you described. You are right, it does work somewhat but the question that I question if it is worth the above average cost.

I have not noticed any change since cutting off the DAP other than we lost our Cobalt mobile site because "supposedly" that was part of the package. No more traffic than that site produces, it was not worth paying a la carte to have it added to the package. We also turned off our GM TPL program so we have to watch our Response time for the GM leads because one or two that come in overnight can kill your average on such a limited sample.

Glad to know I'm not alone and hope this helped.

. We also turned off our GM TPL program so we have to watch our Response time for the GM leads because one or two that come in overnight can kill your average on such a limited sample.

Thanks for replying, have you noticed any difference after turning off the TPL leads? They seem to be full of junk, and a lot of bad phone numbers, bad emails, etc. We are thinking about turning those off as well for a while till we can revamp everything.

How have things gone for you switching to dealer.com?

We have a Hyundai and a Chevy dealership that must use Cobalt. We use them as a secondary site and dealer.com as our primary. They hate it - but they are nowhere near the level as dealer.com - and I wish dealer.com was better.

The digital marketing is PPC - you can do the same thing through dealer.com and I have had better results.

I'm just not impressed with anything from Cobalt - I don't think their sites look like they were designed in the late 90's.

Just a thought. Maybe the restrictions on your site is coming from your manufacturer and not cobalt.

In my eyes as long as you don't have two sites battling for the same keywords you should be fine. I would do two totally different campaigns and primary keywords, one for each site.

Just another tip: if you are paying for clicks the second part of that is conversions. Make sure your phone number is above the fold and noticeable and research what chat does. Both of those are going to be your money makers with conversion. Forms are cool and a must have but less people fill them out every day.

Reactions: 1 person
I have stayed away from it for now... too much money for a generic PPC campaign that you have no real control over... I would think that money could be better spent if you have the time to handle something like it yourself.

As far as the Cobalt website goes there is very little I have not been able to do with it... sure I hate how you have to stick with a generic template selection but with some customization it is fine. I mean really show me one car website out there that doesn't use the exact same type of navigation regardless of vendor.

Reactions: 1 person

Thanks for replying, have you noticed any difference after turning off the TPL leads? They seem to be full of junk, and a lot of bad phone numbers, bad emails, etc. We are thinking about turning those off as well for a while till we can revamp everything.

How have things gone for you switching to dealer.com?

We have had zero problems with Dealer.com. We were actually with them before the iMR program was around so I can't really comment on any issues with swapping over. Since we are going to have to keep the Cobalt site around we are thinking about using it primarily for our Cadillac customers and then the Dealer.com for our Buick and GMC customers. This makes sense because the typical Cadillac buyer is considerably different than the typical GMC buyer and we can adjust the buying experience accordingly. We are looking into possibly using a splash page to give customer the opportunity to choose which brand they are looking for information on. Open to any suggestions or problems you guys see with this idea...

I guess I should have asked this question this way;

Who is using the GM Cobalt Digital Advertising Program? Why or why not are you using it and what are your thoughts on it?

Would still hope more people respond to get a good idea what everyone's overall thought is about the program.