• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

GM / Cobalt Flex Site - Extortion?

Great question, Josh. Hope this explanation helps:

GM has worked to build a competitive advantage for their dealers in the digital space. This includes new functionality for vehicle merchandising within the Performance solution. These new features include Similar Vehicles, where a vehicle of similar price will be served to an in-market shopper. Also new is Find it For Me request forms, allowing a shopper to work with their dealer of choice even if a specific vehicle isn’t currently on the lot at the dealership. We are pleased to say that we are working on more new features for vehicle merchandising including layout choices for inventory search results and vehicle details pages. The dealer will be able to set the default layout, and shoppers will have the opportunity to change the layout if they prefer. Look for these enhancements and even more later this year.

Was there a different feature or function that you were hoping to see?

It's great that we now have the flex tool to adjust the layouts of the home page and create custom pages, any way that WE would like. However, the #1 and #2 most visited pages are the vehicle details page and the search results page, and there is nothing you can do to customize the layout and design of those pages.

Maybe I want the form larger and on the left side of the page, maybe I want the primary picture of the vehicle to be bigger, maybe I want the comments to have larger text and maybe I want different Call to Actions... Those are all generic examples, but none of that is possible right now, but it definitely could be if those pages were actually "flexible" like all the other pages.

Reactions: 1 person
I want to start by thanking Bill for joining the community and for being so open to our concerns. Also, Joe, thank you for stepping up and asking the question!
I have sat on my hands letting emotions cool and thoughts settle. Most of you know that my little Dodge dealer bought the failing Buick/GMC store across the street (well the only other think in the big corn field) in February. The GM world has been a huge learning curve and I'm still on this rollercoaster.
That said, I was pressured from day 1 to "migrate" to the "new Flex platform." I too was told it was the updated site and was just something everyone had to do, that the old site would soon stop functioning and was promised there was no extra cost. Taking on a store full of new cars no one wants (wrong packages), with no allocation, where no one can even seem to figure out the BAC codes (which I won't tirade on the effects) between the old and new ownership.
I also want to echo the idea that the forms on the site need to be simplified with fewer required fields. I know there are a few studies (with a larger sample size) out there about the drop-off of submissions in correlation to the number and types of fields. Would it be possible to allow dealers that want to be involved with their site to change the requirements on a different form they can add to the VDP or elsewhere? Also, we too have had the site's design (before & after Flex) cited as needing improvement where we have no ability to change. Why (again I'm new to this game) do the mystery shopping questions concerning items beyond the dealer's control effect their score? I get that if we haven't paid to get chat on out site or have chosen not to do/pay for 360 videos we control that, and than there are some customization we can do to mess up the intended design. However, it's like we get penalized for things we can't control and those that can aren't listening.
We came into this store, starting taking a good number of pictures where there were none before; brought in vAuto and have been working out of a hole to bring prices inline, brought in a mix of used cars than sell well across the street, and even bought a few cars from other dealers to have a bit more desirable mix of new inventory. Last month with just over a tiny 2000 visitors, we received just 4 -yes just FOUR-leads. There is something very broken and I'm sure there is blame enough to go around. (Anyone know how I can get the BBO ghost code off a site when 4 rounds of 3 week tickets haven't worked?) But with our co-op tied to our nomadic BAC code, SFE something that numerically can't be achieved and searching for more visibility through other parties-I don't see $699 happening. I was told that "as Cobalt just did a new agreement with GM" that the new site was now something that would be charged for as part of a package of a number of other goodies. I know the old site won't help things-but as I was told, there's not much to help.

Kelly:

Thanks for the additional feedback. I know a little about the Buick-GMC store in Belleville, and suspect you will be able to bring their lead volumes up much higher than they have been in the past.

We have contracted the Cobalt Digital Solutions Managers to set up a one-on-one contact with each dealer to go through the new Digital Marketing Package to make sure there are no missing pieces of information prior to the end of the 60 day "test drive." Please be sure to be part of that contact with your dealer so that you can share your thoughts with them. We recognize that many stores have unique needs, and want to be sure we can accommodate them where possible.

jscole86 is right. The top visited pages (VDP/VLP) were largely unchanged in this Flex update. The customer's home address is still required to get a quote or ask a question...

We still have 2 sites and always will. Our 2nd site is Dealer.com (not that they're the best, but still WAY better than Cobalt). I recently moved our Cobalt site to a new domain to kill its SEO ranking. Most our traffic goes to our Dealer.com site now. They very month we switched, our own website leads went from 120's to 170's. When I showed our GM this, her comment was, it doesn't matter, customers would rather call anyways.

Don't let these fancy new changes and videos GM is putting out fool you. This GM/Cobalt relationship is costing dealers leads and gross.

For the Bill on this forum: take a note from the other manufacturers. Let us use whatever provider we want, just impose site design requirements to protect the brand.

I've shared the same feedback. Why not let dealerships choose their own providers within a framework of standards? It will spur innovation, competition and end a monopolistic approach to dealers that Cobalt seems to adopt. I'm writing an article about my recent experience with Cobalt/GM. I'm finally at liberty to share (purge!) and hopefully help dealerships innovate around GM's self-defeating online strategy that is truly detrimental to dealerships. The biggest victims are not innovative dealerships like yours who have already adopted alternatives to Cobalt but the dealerships that are still only operating with one Cobalt site. At a recent conference, I saw quite a few of them buying the hype that the vendors sold to them (especially Cobalt), while a few of us challenged the presenters -- because we know the deal. At the end of the day, GM believes it can use a command and control strategy and get a lot of dealership data by mandating Cobalt sites. Case in Point: the default Cobalt/GM Schedule a Test Drive forms???

I've shared the same feedback. Why not let dealerships choose their own providers within a framework of standards? It will spur innovation, competition and end a monopolistic approach to dealers that Cobalt seems to adopt. I'm writing an article about my recent experience with Cobalt/GM. I'm finally at liberty to share (purge!) and hopefully help dealerships innovate around GM's self-defeating online strategy that is truly detrimental to dealerships. The biggest victims are not innovative dealerships like yours who have already adopted alternatives to Cobalt but the dealerships that are still only operating with one Cobalt site. At a recent conference, I saw quite a few of them buying the hype that the vendors sold to them (especially Cobalt), while a few of us challenged the presenters -- because we know the deal. At the end of the day, GM believes it can use a command and control strategy and get a lot of dealership data by mandating Cobalt sites. Case in Point: the default Cobalt/GM Schedule a Test Drive forms???

What you propose is for example what Toyota does, they have a list of approved vendors that must also follow a certain set of standards. On top of that they have a company, Shift Digital, check those vendors and report the best performing ones back to the Toyota dealers.

On a side note, Toyota has not followed the same logic with Lexus and had Cobalt as the only provider for many years. Just recently they have solicited other vendors to submit proposals to also become Lexus approved.

What you propose is for example what Toyota does, they have a list of approved vendors that must also follow a certain set of standards. On top of that they have a company, Shift Digital, check those vendors and report the best performing ones back to the Toyota dealers.

Not sure about down there, but Hyundai Canada does the same thing up here.
Toyota seems more flexible. Subaru seems to always have the same OEM websites.
Most of them allow you to do anything you want in addition to the OEM website, but still require it.

Hyundai is accepting proposals for alternatives, but you have to meet their strict policies.
I think that is the best strategy - quality control without suffocation.