• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

GM Dealers Check AutoTrader.com

Blake,

How and Why? Is GM covering a portion of your AutoTrader bill?

Even if they are taking care of a portion of the the bill, that's a stupid move on GM's behalf. Get the word out and allow the dealers to choose where they would like BOB to link to. The consumer experience is what matters most. Dealers that have a site outside of their Cobalt site are placing more effort into this site and in return should be offering a much better experience for the consumer with increased conversion for the dealership. This equates into more sales for GM.

Let us know what you find out.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes GM is paying for a portion of my Autotrader bill, however I was never told about the change nor would I have allowed it. I'm just amazed Autotrader would change it without talking to me first.

Just got off the phone with Autotrader support and was told there are no notes or history of the change. They claim my Cobalt site has always showed. I have Google Analytics to prove it was changed sometime in April.

Very, very frustrated...

Blake, my Google Places pages are still messed up because of Cobalt, and I don't want to hear from them again it is Google's fault, they blame it on Google, Google blames it on them. I got a places page for both my .com (my main site by ddc) and .net that Cobalt/GM claimed. No one at Cobalt can give me a login and password to the .net places site, they also blamed GM saying they did it. Google says they cant help cause they can only give the password to the verified owner. I told them I am the owner of that website domain and this was their answer, "you'll have to get that info from Cobalt, or wait till the two places merge". Do you think anyone at Cobalt has helped me, hell no, pointed the finger back at Google.

GM needs to get its rear in gear and certify 2-3 web vendors they will approve like they do with CRM so dealers have a choice. But I guess who ever at Cobalt is in bed with whoever at GM would have to break up their love affair.

Re: AutoTrader

I would check and see if the BOB button in question is only on your "certified" vehicles. I believe ATC has arrangements with some OEMS that dictate limited control of your listings on certified product. Separately, you also give up some control when you sign up for a CO-OP (OEM Endorsed) package with ATC. While I like the fact that the packages are usually co-op'able, the control you give up may not be in your best interest. YMMV.

re: Google Places Dup Page

You do have your dealer name "trademarked" right? File a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) notice with Google for the places page that you want taken down. (FYI - you can also do this with Facebook, or any other site). Funny that it would have to go this far, the last time I had a duplicate page problem with places... I just sent a nice email (logged in as the places owner) using the help button at the bottom of the places page (link is no longer there on new design). Page was removed in 3 days.

And lastly... YOU do control the DNS for your domain right? If you don't, you should, don't ever let a vender control your DNS. You can always temp point the domain to your main site. So the OEM site will point to your required site. Hold it hostage until the vendor fixes the problem (gives you the password or deletes the page). You may get ALOT of FLACK form the OEM. But at least they will pay attention. Again, YMMV - and this would be a ballsy move. (Something that I like to do!)

Reactions: 3 people
re: Google Places Dup Page

You do have your dealer name "trademarked" right? File a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) notice with Google for the places page that you want taken down. (FYI - you can also do this with Facebook, or any other site). Funny that it would have to go this far, the last time I had a duplicate page problem with places... I just sent a nice email (logged in as the places owner) using the help button at the bottom of the places page (link is no longer there on new design). Page was removed in 3 days.

And lastly... YOU do control the DNS for your domain right? If you don't, you should, don't ever let a vender control your DNS. You can always temp point the domain to your main site. So the OEM site will point to your required site. Hold it hostage until the vendor fixes the problem (gives you the password or deletes the page). You may get ALOT of FLACK form the OEM. But at least they will pay attention. Again, YMMV - and this would be a ballsy move. (Something that I like to do!)

Drew, I tried everything, Cobalt blames Google and GM saying they did this. I went through the help channels at all three with nothing but this from Google;

We have taken the necessary steps to make sure that the duplicate businesses in question merge into a single Place page on Google Maps. These changes may take 4-6 weeks, but it's also possible that they may take longer. We're working to improve this process for users. Please note that you may experience data issues until you contact corporate and ensure that your data inputs are aligned.

I do own and control the DNS for all our domains. But there is no way in hell I am getting in a pissing match with GM over this. They just sent the Gensler rep here to tell us what we have to do with renovations under their EBE/SFE programs and that is a much bigger fight. Trust us, they watch everything. We just spent over $1.6M 6 years ago renovating to their standards, now they are saying change again or else. You got to pick your battles, and I'll just have to wait on Google, cause the renovations and EBE/SFE programs are a bigger battle.