• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Good ol conversion question

Apr 22, 2009
Awards
First Name
Ryan
I wanted to get the Refresh Nation to put their heads together and come up with some possible suggestions for a dealer here in Toronto.

This dealerships website conversion is 1.5% and their sister store is 2.9 %.

Here is the deal:

• Exact same website platform (Trader smart solutions aka Dealer.com)
  • Exact same brand (Chev, Cadillac)
  • Exact same city - Toronto - one is in the suburbs

This dealer is racking his brains on what they can do to bring the lower store up to par. My one thought (didn't tell dealer this) is that his PPC campaign is bringing in a bunch of crappy traffic. He is running his own campaign and I'm thinking it may not be set up properly.

What other factors do you think they should consider.

If one store is running a PPC and the other is not, then deduct the PPC traffic and re-run the calcs.

Other factors

• Inferior Location
  • Poor Product Mix
  • Shallow Product Depth
  • Bad Photos and/or Bad Data collection
  • Vehicle Comments vs No Veh. Comments
  • Years of poor management leads to poor reputation (are reviews identical?)

Joe,

I will get him to deduct the PPC and re-work the numbers. The reputation of this dealer is very good and they inventory is spotless on their site.

Thanks for the tip.

Ryan,

The DEALER isn't the problem, the inventory isn't the problem you're looking for an imbalance BETWEEN them.

Does the bad dealer operate on the bad side of town? Is it hard to get to, or is its location unknown to the city dwellers?

Inventory MIX can bend the needle. Is the total count the same? Is the brand count the same? Is the model count the same?

You can also have the dealer trace the leads and classify them by store, New, Used, Make, Model, etc.. to see if the imbalance shows up here. If it does, you can trace it to the source easily.

Ok... I'll shut up now.

Does one dealer have a different internet process in place ?

Where are the best leads coming from at the good dealer ?

Has the bad dealer ever shopped themselves to review response time ?

Do the lead providers have the correct information ? I ask because I recently checked our edmunds site and saw that customers were not getting the correct phone #. It's probably been this way for 5 years or more. Carfax website had incorrect information . Again it's probably been incorrect for many years.

You have to shop yourself to learn what the customers are receiving !