• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Abandons Decision To Get Rid of Cookies

So what does this do to the strategies of dig ad, mining, and the like companies hailing "1st party data" as the new direction? Do they pivot back or is there an argument for the 1st party direction and growth yet?

You still have Apple limiting exposure within Safari and iCloud. I think the 1st party direction is and always will be king, as you have the most control over it.

Had a call with our Google rep today, and the discussion of enhanced conversion data tracking came up... I asked him how big of a priority this shift was for his team now that the future was no longer going to be cookie-less. He had no idea what I was talking about and I had to be the one to inform him that his organization had abandoned the initiative. They didn't even send out an internal memo.

So what does this do to the strategies of dig ad, mining, and the like companies hailing "1st party data" as the new direction? Do they pivot back or is there an argument for the 1st party direction and growth yet?
Google's decision to retain third-party cookies in Chrome does not diminish the growing importance of first-party data. As privacy regulations tighten and user expectations for transparency increase, first-party data remains a critical asset for marketers. Honestly, Google's decision provides a temporary reprieve for marketers who rely on third-party cookies for user tracking and targeting. Regardless, first-party data collection aligns with most compliance standards, fostering transparency and trust between businesses and users. As privacy regulations become stricter, the reliance on first-party data ensures that companies can continue to gather valuable insights without violating user privacy.

And remember, owning and maintaining exclusive access to first-party data provides a competitive edge. Dealers can use this data to deliver personalized content and experiences, driving customer engagement and loyalty, which drives CLV.

Reactions: Mark A Hoffman
I'm sorry, I just can't help not agree with you about all the "great" things are being done for the consumer.

But, I do agree that "owning and maintaining exclusive access to first-party data provides a competitive edge." If you didn't already give away a lot of this data in the name of being able to see some stats or hopes it helps your SEO.

How much can scraping your user data really can help to drive customer engagement?
I remember reading here that many customers don't always buy the same make, model, color.
How much data can you really collect for customer that you might see 2-3 times in their life time?

Now, if you could get Googles data on that customer! Things get super interesting! You could probably predict:
-- which vehicle they want to see on your lot
-- if they plan to buy ties
-- possibility if they will go berserk or not about vin etching and pinstripes
-- how many options and which ones they want
-- if they will want to buy let's say an M4 with 30K miles or if they are willing to buy the M4 with 76K miles if it has red stitiching

This is the marketing data that Google is likely able to provide. It's all law of averages based on search queries.
Just think of what kind of "googling" you do.