• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Glass

I've not used them, but I have heard there is a place for them in service. My understanding is that there there was development taking place which would allow for a tech to have a "second set of eyes" on the job at all times. Probably just a rumor but it seemed like an interesting concept.

Has anyone here used Google Glass yet? If so how have you used it in the car business? Any apps specific to our business? I ordered a pair last night and I am curious if anyone here has used them. Thanks!

Hey Todd - I've had mine for several months now. While there aren't any specific apps for the retail side of the business, there are new apps coming for Hyundai and Chevrolet that offer things like the ability to unlock your car doors and tap into the vehicle's on-board computer. (I'm hoping to contribute something to our segment in the means of a hands-free data collection app - more on that later)

As for what you can do with yours, there are plenty of unique things you can do:

• Create video tours of your showroom & your lot (Be sure to activate the YouTube app to push videos directly to your YT account)
  • Create walk-around videos of vehicles (& use them to share with your customers in your emails)
  • Create a library of video test-drives to share with customers. And no, contrary to what you may have heard, wearing them while driving to record a video is not distracting. (wearing them while driving & trying to navigate through to read your emails & view other content would be very distracting - don't do that!)
  • Let your service staff record the work they're doing. (Create simple how-to videos of things customers can do)
  • Interview your staff & share those videos
  • Get customer testimonials (Of course, let them know you're recording)
  • Let your customers try them out - create a library of "Customer Google Glass pictures & videos" - they'll enjoy it & definitely remember the experience.

I tend to carry mine rather than just wearing them, especially in public places. Many people have no idea what they are, most people misunderstand their purpose - but once they have a chance to try them, they realize you're not just walking around taking pictures and videos of everything.

Enjoy - if you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

(Here's an older post I about dealers & Google Glass)

I got mine today also Todd... and I immediately put them up on craigslist/ebay haha (PM me if you want to buy them)

There are a ton of app ideas that I would love to create with these, however I just cant see keeping them for $1593.

Lets build one!

I think, as time has passed, consumers have become less OK with the privacy issues of their advisors, etc having a camera on their face. More and more people and businesses are turning down Google Glass as an option.