• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google just released a game changing amount of information in Webmaster Tools

Chip Grueter

Hat Trick
Jan 7, 2010
Awards
First Name
Chip
Not sure how many people are using Google's Webmaster Tools for your dealership websites, but with the amount of information they just released on Top Search Queries, now's the time if you were holding out!

You can now see more detailed information for each query including the number of impressions that query got, how many times your link was clicked on out of those impressions and what position it was in, in the SERPs when it was clicked on. Amazing amount of information, really.

A couple of big things to note:

After position 3, the chance of someone clicking on your link go basically to 0 in relation to the CTR of position 1, 2 and 3.

Google was rumored to bounce around sites for certain keywords for testing who performed best, and this seems to confirm that rumor. What's even more interesting is the impact of placing first for a keyword/phrase as opposed to second. For our site, it looks like they took the phrase "dealership reviews" and gave us the top two SERP links (perhaps one was a supplemental?). For a given time period, we had 210 impressions in the top spot and 210 impressions in the second spot. The first spot received 140 clicks and the second spot received < 10.

It also shows which of your pages you were ranking for and which pages the user clicked on through too.

Unbelievably useful data. So useful, I'm amazed they released this.

Chip-

Attachments

• wmt.jpg
    wmt.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 17
Chip,

I agree with you 100%! The funny part is how people will rationalize their rank or click through rates. Do you uses any other tracking software like Spyfu or GetClicky? I've found them to be more helpful than the webmaster tools from Google.

Google has revealed another card in its hand. Clearly they are revealing CTR (its about time). For those that know me well, I've been pounding the table on Google's Quality Score coming to SEPRs.

PPC's QUALITY SCORE IS THE KEY SCORING SYSTEM TO ORGANIC SERPS.

Quality Score in PPC is made up of:

* CTR (Click Thru Rate)
* Relevancy
* Page Load Speed.

Months ago, when Google webmaster tools showed us our site speed (incl site speed relative to all sites) Google gave us a clue that Page Load speed is important to them. I was hell bent to Get Fast or Be Last! Now, google is telling us that CTR is so important that they are willing to reveal inner data to help us improve our sites. Smart. Damn Smart.

Here comes Relevancy!
Do you sell Used Pontiacs in Pittsburg? Does that request land on your USED PONTIAC PAGE??? Do you have a used Pontiac page? Relevancy of the SERP that links to the IDEAL page is not going to be easy. From my seat, it's all about site architecture and content. This will produce some BIG differences in SERPs. And that will make some web vendors very rich and other vendors very poor.

Other key factors in the mix:

* Value-add (do you bring depth to the visitor experience aka: time on site/avg pages seen)
* Topicality (how "fresh" is your site)
* Reputation/Brand (Brand is BIG at the Goog)