• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Places Accounts Under Review

jmoses

Full Sticker
Apr 30, 2010
First Name
Joe
Hello all,

Just wondering if any of you have had one (or many ) of your Google Places listings be under compliance review. A month or two ago, the Places listing for one of our new locations was being marked as "Being reviewed". I thought this was understandable to be marked under review, as the new store took over the address for one of our other stores that had moved down the road.

However, just a few weeks ago, I logged into our Places account only to find all of our listings for all our stores to be Pending - Being reviewed. It does say to allow "several weeks", but from experience, does anyone know how long this typically takes Google to review?

Also, besides the "Quality Guidelines", is there anywhere I can go to see why these listings are being reviewed? Most of the listings had been up on Google for a while without any issues.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

@JMoses - Here's a quick tip. Go edit your listing and simply change around your business description a little bit and then click submit. Wait 10 minutes and try accessing your live place page. If it is still under review then something in your listing violates Google's Place Page Guidelines Quality guidelines : Get started - Google Places Help

Are you using excessive capitalization, the word 'free' excessively, or anything that may border on being too promotional?

We deal with these type of problems for our clients all the time, and know how frustrating it can be. Lastly, having a listing 'under review' is a misnomer because your listing status will never change unless you actively try to make it change. No one from Google will come review it.

Thanks for the replies...

I've gone ahead and changed some info on each of the listings (i.e. description, making sure phone number and email address are accurate, etc.), and that does not seem to be working. After making some changes, I've naturally had to verify the listing again. After verifying a couple of the listings (which proved difficult to do wiht auto attendants, forwarding numbers, etc.), the listing goes right back into Pending Under review.

The more I look over the guidelines, I thikn the problem with some of our listings is that we have two listings for the same address. For example, one of our biggest stores Preston Motors, has both a Toyota/Scion showroom, and a Cadillac/Buick/GMC showroom. Those buildings are right next door to eachother, and share the same physical address.

The way we have it now, we have a separate listing for "Preston Motors", another for "Preston Toyota/Scion", and a third for "Preston Buick/Cadillac/GMC". I realize it may be against google listing policy to have multiple business in the same address, but what are we to do here? Our Toyota Showroom and GM Showroom share the same USPS address? Are we forced to use one listing?

@JMoses - Here's a quick tip. Go edit your listing and simply change around your business description a little bit and then click submit. Wait 10 minutes and try accessing your live place page. If it is still under review then something in your listing violates Google's Place Page Guidelines Quality guidelines : Get started - Google Places Help

Are you using excessive capitalization, the word 'free' excessively, or anything that may border on being too promotional?

We deal with these type of problems for our clients all the time, and know how frustrating it can be. Lastly, having a listing 'under review' is a misnomer because your listing status will never change unless you actively try to make it change. No one from Google will come review it.

The more I look over the guidelines, I thikn the problem with some of our listings is that we have two listings for the same address. For example, one of our biggest stores Preston Motors, has both a Toyota/Scion showroom, and a Cadillac/Buick/GMC showroom. Those buildings are right next door to eachother, and share the same physical address.

Put a "BLDG#" - something like

1500 Wilmington Road, Scion Building, New Castle, PA 16105

No guarantee, but I have a few dealers listed like this have worked.

Just wanted to update the forum on where we stand with our accounts, in case anyone else is running into a similar situation. We had spent the time to clean up our google places listings per googles guidelines (one listing per address), our account were still under review, it has been months now.

After talking with someone from Google Tags Sales (I was astonished I was finally able to find any kind of phone number to talk to a google representative BTW), she let me know that we had created too many 'red flags' on our account because of all the changes and revisions.Her only solution for us to not wait anymore was to delete all of the old places listings from google maps and from my account, and to recreate each one in a new google places account.

While this has worked and the new listings are live and active, there are some issues. Our first is that the old, inaccurate listings still remain ranked high in places. Do we have any idea how long it takes google to remove a listing you have deleted from your account and from google places altogether? Our second issue that the new listings are ranking 5th or 6th in the rankings. I'm hoping that by submitting some pics and videos I can help speed up the process of the places ranking where they used to. I can only hope Google will start pulling over our dealer rater reviews again..