• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Tags to be retired on 4/29 - Google Boost?

DrewAment

Boss
Apr 30, 2009
Awards
First Name
Drew
Just got an email from Google...looks like the $25 "tags" are going away.

Email:

Google Tags to be retired on 4/29

Dear Google Places user,

At Google, we’re always working to innovate and improve ways for small businesses to get online and reach more customers. At times, though, we have to decide where to focus our efforts and which technologies we expect will yield the most benefit to users and businesses like you in the long run.

In that spirit, we are retiring Google Tags for all users on April 29, 2011. No action is required on your part, and your Places account and listing will continue to work as usual. Effective today, no new tags can be created, but all active tags will keep running to the end of April for free.

In your Places account, you’ll be able to see billing history until July 31st. If your tag is active, performance data will be available from now until May 31st. Historical performance data of inactive tags will be available in your dashboard starting May 2nd until May 31st.

You can visit our blog post and our Help Center for more information. There are still a number of options for you to reach more customers online, including our latest product for local businesses, Google Boost. Through the month of May, we are offering Tags customers like you $100 to try out Google Boost. Call 877-503-0841 Monday to Friday 8am-6pm to redeem your credit.

Thank you for trying Google Tags.

Sincerely,

The Google Places Team

© 2011 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your Google Places product or account.

Boost Offer Terms & Conditions: Promotional credit is only valid when signing up as a new Google Boost advertiser. Promotional credit allows for $100.00 of free Google Boost advertising. This credit can be spent on 1 Boost advertising campaign per new advertiser. Advertisers will be automatically charged for advertising that exceeds the promotional credit. Promotional credit will be applied to customer’s designated AdWords account within 30 days. Google Boost ads are subject to ad approval, valid registration and acceptance of the Google Places and Google Boost program terms and conditions. Offer void where prohibited by law. Offer expires May 31, 2011. The promotional credit may not be sold or bartered. The offer may be revoked before acceptance at any time for any reason by Google Inc.

I got the same email.

Nothing surprises me with Google anymore. I enjoyed taking advantage of the tagging for our service coupons and merely sticking out from the crowd in the SERPs.

Will Google Boost be next?

Last edited:
It seems as though google will make more money off of google boost ("set up your monthly budget") as opposed to the $25 a month for tags. They seem to be concentrating on promoting google places. Since google boost is more about utilizing the places/map aspect of google, than tags ever was - google boost does seem like the next logical step. But what happens if everyone in your neighborhood signs up for google boost (chuckle)? Then everyone will have a "blue pin."

Will I sign up for boost -- maybe. I want to look into it more.

Are you going to sign up for it?