• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

GPS Mini Trackers?

Burt Lewis

Peel'm off the Ceiling
Aug 2, 2018
Awards
First Name
Burt
Hi there, I'm with a 100+ used independent and looking into purchasing GPS mini trackers for our fleet. Seems like the pricing has come down and might be a good way to know where everything is at all times. Anyone have any experience using these, if so appreciate knowing what brand, best pricing, tracking software used, etc. - Ideally we would want a good dashboard control panel software to see all the vehicle at826feb30-91a4-4eb3-b0d5-fa0016558aac.png a glance, do searches, sorts, etc. Thank you!

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Those seem awfully cheap for what they are. Far cry from the bricks of yesterday.

One thing I took notice to, which may not be a huge deal for what you're using them for - the battery life is somewhat limited.

Rechargeable battery life is up to 5 days (the more it moves the lesser the days) tracking real time every 1-5 minutes. If real time tracking is not needed, battery lasts 30-75 days tracking 1-3 times per day (using battery save mode).

You also have the monthly service charge but I wonder if they offer a "fleet" option: Monthly fee of 19.95USD is required or as low as 9.95USD for long term prepaid plans

I'm thinking you may want something more robust, more engineered for fleet services.

Small batch use of SPOT devices work great. Test drive? When you go to get the vehicle, grab a spot, power it on, put it in the vehicle and send it on its way. You get updates every 5 min (you can pick intervals). The units are like $129 and monthly is like $10 per unit.