• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Hardware acquisition - new PCs

Hoib

Rust & Dust
Dec 9, 2009
First Name
Hoib
Hi. I'm curious about how you folks procure new PCs for sales, service, parts, admin. We're facing having to procure about 10 PCs. I suspect that many dealerships have good sources for purchasing PCs along with good deals on pricing (especially if you're buying in bulk). I'm told that if you're a member of NADA, that the Association has some sort of group buying authority or power to get you what you need. But I'm not sure about that. I"m pretty new to the auto biz but am helping to sort out some IT woes at my site.

So, if you folks can, share with me how you go about buying new computers to replace those old clunkers hanging out in the showroom??? I'd be interested too in any feedback regarding those refurbs that I see at decent prices. Yes, I know, you get what you pay for...

Thanks.

H

Has no one bought any new computers for their shop in the last year???!!
We're looking all over for best pricing. Could use some suggestions.
Staples, BestBuy, Dell, HP, CDW are all top contenders. Who's gotten a good deal they can share?
:D

Has no one bought any new computers for their shop in the last year???!!
We're looking all over for best pricing. Could use some suggestions.
Staples, BestBuy, Dell, HP, CDW are all top contenders. Who's gotten a good deal they can share?
:D

I would say it really depends on your hardware needs. I would also make sure that everything you buy is compatible with your existing network infrastructure. We personally make our computers. We can usually get more bang for the buck that way. I would suggest you talk to sales rep if you are buying in bulk.

I use PCConnection. Seneca Data is also worth a look.

CDW is worthless, horrible support. Also, if you're going to buy from a retailer at least make it an online one like newegg or Dell.

For computers that are cheaper than $550 I do not recommend building your own computers. Pre-built ones will have better power supplies and better motherboards. This will come and bite you in the ass later.

Finally, DON'T get small form factor computers (the skinny ones) I know they save space blah blah blah, but when it comes time to upgrade you're suddenly paying 2x as much for that power supply replacement. Not to mention the fact that smaller computers heat up more and cause more internal failures because of that extra heat. (and they're usually louder due to smaller/faster fans)

Post whatever computer you find here and I'll give you my opinion on that specific model.

I use PCConnection. Seneca Data is also worth a look.

CDW is worthless, horrible support. Also, if you're going to buy from a retailer at least make it an online one like newegg or Dell.

For computers that are cheaper than $550 I do not recommend building your own computers. Pre-built ones will have better power supplies and better motherboards. This will come and bite you in the ass later.

Finally, DON'T get small form factor computers (the skinny ones) I know they save space blah blah blah, but when it comes time to upgrade you're suddenly paying 2x as much for that power supply replacement. Not to mention the fact that smaller computers heat up more and cause more internal failures because of that extra heat. (and they're usually louder due to smaller/faster fans)

Post whatever computer you find here and I'll give you my opinion on that specific model.

I would also recommend PCConnection. I would not say pre-built computer have better power supplies and motherboards because ultimately you choose them yourselves. A lot of the time pre-built cut corners and they create problems with their proprietary hardware. Upgrading your hardware become more expensive because you are unaware of what you bundled.

I built my own computer 3 years ago for a little under $800 and it can run anything I throw at it with ease. I know exactly what's in it and how it can (and can't) be upgraded, and I didn't pay $100-200 in "labor" - "labor" that took me 30 minutes with zero computer building experience. If you're willing to put in the research time, it'll pay off. I spent a good many hours researching parts, but it was worth it to me.

As a friend of mine says, "that's just my shitty opinion" :D

OK! Here's how it came out. We had to pull the trigger today to meet the end-of-year budget cutoff. We went with CDW (Sorry ghen!) They've bought from CDW before with good success and no problems. And, as I worked with them today to finalize everything, I believe I got a good rep (knowledgeable, friendly, quick to react to adds and deletes) to work with. And that's the way it should be. CDW threw in free shipping - big deal?. We're going with the Acer Veriton X270 (surprise, ghen, we think alike!). PC Connection, NewEgg and TigerDirect were within a few dollars - the free shipping tipped the scales. Everything we ordered was in stock and ready to go. I was able to convince my delaer that a backup NAS device was absolutely needed so we tossed that in with a few 17in flat screens @$100 a piece. Had to get Office Basic/Standard for selected machines as well as inexpensive (as in $32 a pop) dual monitor vid cards for two manager's needs. These systems will come with XP 64-bit with Win 7 upgrade rights included. This was done with due and careful consideration for our friends at Netstar. Yes, there will be a half dozen or so legacy hardware devices that need 64-bit archetecture drivers/software. We researched those devices and believe we've got the bases covered.

Now, we've got to wait for delivery. I'm going to do up one new one completely with everything and test it to see if it's as bullet proof as I can get it.

Thanks for all the support, people. Wish us luck. Happy New Year.

Sounds good. Only minor change I would have made would be getting 19" widescreens for $5-$10 more (they're actually wide 17"s but with the magic of diagonal measuring they are called 19") Good choices all around though and I would definitely start testing Windows 7 with your software as it provides very nice security enhancements.