• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Has 10DLC Registration shut down your CRM Text Messaging?

Thank you @Jeff Kershner for the invitation!

I hope the session gave context to some of the challenges automotive software platforms (and in turn, dealers) are up against in maintaining compliance with SMS.

That said, I'm always open to help give insight on the pieces dealerships can control.

A note outside of 10DLC...there is an update those here may or may not know about Toll-Free Numbers (TFN). Starting Nov. 8th, any TFN that has not been verified will be blocked. If you have not been notified of this, contact your software provider or CPaaS. You can imagine the backlog that is already occurring in this.

To avoid interruption, you'll need that TFN at least in "provisionally verified" status. You'll need to know there are volume constraints during the provisional status. If you send low volume, this shouldn't pose a challenge. If you send more than 2000 msgs/day on that number, you could have a problem.

I hope the session gave context to some of the challenges automotive software platforms (and in turn, dealers) are up against in maintaining compliance with SMS.

That said, I'm always open to help give insight on the pieces dealerships can control.

A note outside of 10DLC...there is an update those here may or may not know about Toll-Free Numbers (TFN). Starting Nov. 8th, any TFN that has not been verified will be blocked. If you have not been notified of this, contact your software provider or CPaaS. You can imagine the backlog that is already occurring in this.

To avoid interruption, you'll need that TFN at least in "provisionally verified" status. You'll need to know there are volume constraints during the provisional status. If you send low volume, this shouldn't pose a challenge. If you send more than 2000 msgs/day on that number, you could have a problem.
Was a great episode of Refresh Friday @JDHigginbotham, thanks for sharing your expertise!

I know businesses have 3 options when it comes to texting:
  1. 10DLC (a standard phone number with area code)
  2. Toll-Free Number
  3. Short code
Are either toll-free numbers or short codes a better alternative for dealership CRM's to consider implementing?

Toll-free numbers have the disadvantage of not being able to send MMS image/video texts, but do they get filtered less?

And short codes obviously have the disadvantage of the 2-3 month approval process and ~$900 /mo fee.

But as a dealership, I would gladly pay $900 /mo if it meant that I was likely to see a higher message deliverability across all carriers. I would only need to sell 1 extra car every quarter to pay for that ;-)

If a business has been verified, and wishes to add an additional Toll Free Number, must that business be Verified again when the new number is added?

Same for Standard Number, if the business adds another number, should the 10DLC Registration need to be done again?

Thanks

Was a great episode of Refresh Friday @JDHigginbotham, thanks for sharing your expertise!

I know businesses have 3 options when it comes to texting:
  1. 10DLC (a standard phone number with area code)
  2. Toll-Free Number
  3. Short code
Are either toll-free numbers or short codes a better alternative for dealership CRM's to consider implementing?

Toll-free numbers have the disadvantage of not being able to send MMS image/video texts, but do they get filtered less?

And short codes obviously have the disadvantage of the 2-3 month approval process and ~$900 /mo fee.

But as a dealership, I would gladly pay $900 /mo if it meant that I was likely to see a higher message deliverability across all carriers. I would only need to sell 1 extra car every quarter to pay for that ;-)

Short Answer

Dealers/Vendors should go Toll-Free now if dead in the water with 10DLC. If not, get a TFN verified anyway as a back up.

Long term, ensuring each rooftop is registered as its own "brand" with a "low-volume mixed" campaign should be the best practice.

Long Answer

For the last 2 years, I have consistently kept software platforms safe with Toll-Free (TFN) being a direct replacement for any use case that would default to 10DLC.

Reasons to replace 10DLC with TFN

1. Simple, scalable verification effort

2. Registration framework isolates to the number...meaning you diversify your risk with any blocks..so even if you do get filtered there is better damage control than your entire 10DLC campaign getting blocked. Do TFNs get filtered less? Not really.

3. It retains all functionality that a 10DLC number has (SMS, MMS, Voice)...I push a large quantity of MMS from the TFNs I've spun up.

4. End users don't care about a local number as much as businesses seem to think

Disclaimer - Between now and the end of the year, there WILL be delays in TFN verification. Expect things to return to normal pace in Jan/Feb.

Short Codes

I wouldn't consider these a direct replacement for 10DLC, but a solid alternative for a high volume SMS/MMS only use case. Voice is not supported on Short Codes.

If you have an engaged partner that can coach you on the Program Brief, you can get that approval process down to 1 month.

Once approved, you are far less subject to the surprise blocks/filtering that other number types have.

So yes, you could avoid headache if you're willing to pay the higher monthly to set and forget.

If a business has been verified, and wishes to add an additional Toll Free Number, must that business be Verified again when the new number is added?

Same for Standard Number, if the business adds another number, should the 10DLC Registration need to be done again?

Thanks

TFN
Yes and No. It is the number that needs to be verified. Not so much the business in this case.

A business may have up to 5 TFNs that points to the same URL in the verification brief, but needs a "valid business reason". Examples - testing, sales, service, etc.

10DLC

It depends.

If Clocktower Auto is a vetted brand with a "low volume mixed" campaign under it, you can just add numbers to that campaign.

If not, how you set up the brands and campaigns could come into play.

Feel free to DM me with how you set it up and I can give insight.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: craigh
Short Codes

I wouldn't consider these a direct replacement for 10DLC, but a solid alternative for a high volume SMS/MMS only use case. Voice is not supported on Short Codes.

If you have an engaged partner that can coach you on the Program Brief, you can get that approval process down to 1 month.

Once approved, you are far less subject to the surprise blocks/filtering that other number types have.

So yes, you could avoid headache if you're willing to pay the higher monthly to set and forget.
I would venture that a lot of dealers would be willing to pay the $900 /mo for a shortcode as a form of insurance.

If your 10DLC number gets blocked/filtered by a carrier, your sold / lead % is going to nosedive and take all of that gross profit along with it.

$900 is a small price to pay for that peace of mind. And I'm sure CRM's would love not having to dedicate the resources needed to troubleshoot and work through 10DLC deliverability issues.

So, if the only thing we're giving up is the ability for a customer to call the shortcode number that is texting them, I'd say that's a non-issue. Customers that prefer texting back and forth rarely call us, and if they do need to, it's easy enough to include a clickable phone number in the body of a text.

That being said, I know it's very unlikely that any of the automotive CRM's will end up making short codes available as an option.

Reactions: JDHigginbotham
I would venture that a lot of dealers would be willing to pay the $900 /mo for a shortcode as a form of insurance.

If your 10DLC number gets blocked/filtered by a carrier, your sold / lead % is going to nosedive and take all of that gross profit along with it.

$900 is a small price to pay for that peace of mind. And I'm sure CRM's would love not having to dedicate the resources needed to troubleshoot and work through 10DLC deliverability issues.

So, if the only thing we're giving up is the ability for a customer to call the shortcode number that is texting them, I'd say that's a non-issue. Customers that prefer texting back and forth rarely call us, and if they do need to, it's easy enough to include a clickable phone number in the body of a text.

That being said, I know it's very unlikely that any of the automotive CRM's will end up making short codes available as an option.

This is the exact candor in feedback CRMs need to hear from dealers.

It's very possible they are making assumptions that most dealers wouldn't...

1. Allow the rental cost to be passed to them
2. Forego Voice support on the same number
3. Abandon a "local number"
4. Be patient enough for the short code to be approved

I completely agree with you and would be the guy those CRMs submit the brief to.

On the other hand, once 10DLC growing pains get ironed out it will be a more scalable solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: craigh
This is the exact candor in feedback CRMs need to hear from dealers.

It's very possible they are making assumptions that most dealers wouldn't...

1. Allow the rental cost to be passed to them
2. Forego Voice support on the same number
3. Abandon a "local number"
4. Be patient enough for the short code to be approved

I completely agree with you and would be the guy those CRMs submit the brief to.

On the other hand, once 10DLC growing pains get ironed out it will be a more scalable solution.
That being said I'm just one dealer, so I could be totally off-base here.

So I would be interested in hearing if other DealerRefresh dealers would be willing to pay $900 /mo for a shortcode as a form of text messaging deliverability insurance and peace of mind?

@JDHigginbotham - if a dealer's 10DLC does get blocked / filtered by a carrier:
a) How long could a dealer go without even realizing that's why customers with Verizon (for example) aren't replying to any of their texts?
b) Once they do realize there's an issue, how long does it typically take to get resolved?

The answer to those two questions would determine how necessary it is for dealers to consider investing in a shortcode.

That being said I'm just one dealer, so I could be totally off-base here.

So I would be interested in hearing if other DealerRefresh dealers would be willing to pay $900 /mo for a shortcode as a form of text messaging deliverability insurance and peace of mind?

@JDHigginbotham - if a dealer's 10DLC does get blocked / filtered by a carrier:
a) How long could a dealer go without even realizing that's why customers with Verizon (for example) aren't replying to any of their texts?
b) Once they do realize there's an issue, how long does it typically take to get resolved?

The answer to those two questions would determine how necessary it is for dealers to consider investing in a shortcode.

a) If the platform they're using doesn't have alerts set up for the right error codes, it's possible no one would know until a complaint is made! The CPaaS or carrier often isn't proactively notifying platforms of a block.

b) 10DLC resolution is a moving target, not a good answer. Not a good situation. Unblocking a TFN would take a day or two.

These may be stupid questions, @JDHigginbotham, but this is all completely new to me.

1. Would a dealer even know if a text got rejected because of a word like "credit score?"
2. Do the services recognize that a text is an opt-in text?
3. If someone opts in to text messages, would it override any standard defense against words like "credit score?"
4. We noticed recently that some people weren't getting our dealership name on their caller ID. I'm guessing that has to do with this conversation. We did a quick test and Verizon seems to be good, but we called someone with T-Mobile and it didn't show up. So does that mean that we need to ask our provider to set up a CNAM with T-Mobile? Am I saying any of this right? :rofl: