• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Help w/ Internet Buy-in (Long rant/Apologies in advance)

Shit, that's the problem!

I also have my MBA, with a focus in management theory and adult learning/training

WTF is management theory? I only finished a BBA in accounting and finance. No wonder this shit is so hard.

I was playing golf so I didn't go through commencement. I would like to thank the girls of Chi Omega, including my ex-wife, for making the last two years of college meaningful.

Reactions: 1 person
You don't have support of management; you're not happy with the status quo; you can't even lay claim to a desk; they scattered your people to the wind; you have no control or even knowledge of your lead budget and sources; your sales guys are half-broken... whew. I'll leave it at that.

Dude, you have no pull there. I don't see a solution. If you were my friend, I'd say hit the bricks. You have to be respected and valued by those you work with. I don't know you, maybe your bosses are treating you appropriately, in which case you'll be gone soon enough, and maybe you're a star and they don't see it: in that case, and if you're committed to this company, then double-down, be your best, and make your efforts speak for themselves. If, as you say, you have the talent and desire to make it work - then do it. Dig in like a tick and do it. If you want to split, then split. Don't torture yourself in a place that you're so unhappy with.

And there's always this: Why do you print this out and give it to your boss, he may have course of action in mind for you.

WTF is management theory? I only finished a BBA in accounting and finance. No wonder this shit is so hard.

I was playing golf so I didn't go through commencement. I would like to thank the girls of Chi Omega, including my ex-wife, for making the last two years of college meaningful.

If management theorist can't make shit happen in the car business I don't stand a chance...

(no Phun intended to Peter Jr.)

...I spoke to my VP about some of my ideas. He informed me that our owner just does not believe in a BDC set-up. He's just come around to the idea of having an ISD. He just can't wrap his head around the idea of paying someone who will be under the sales umbrella who "doesn't sell".

Pete,

Forget everything, THIS IS ABOUT YOU.

Selling cars is a team sport. You need to see a strong commitment that your leadership wants change and is ready to back you. Without it, you will fail and waste 1-2 years of your life.

DANGER DANGER DANGER!
The worst HIPPOs ever are Fat and happy mulit-millionaire Dealer Principals (F&H DPs). "Business Improvement" to these fat and happy HIPPOs totally not your definition of "Business Improvement". When you discuss "Business Improvement" to F&H DPs, an awesome idea is to them is change nothing and get more money for it. They are 1000% ready to overlook all of the lost opportunities just as long as they see no threat to their giant pipeline of incoming cash... Sorry Pete... the F&H DP sees your ideas as a cost -with- potential risk to his pipeline.

Remember, leadership buy-in is NOT your responsibility. THEY should be the agent of change, YOU should be the tool to help implement their plan. With a half-assed leadership buy-in, WHEN you make one mistake, the rank and file (that has been fighting you all the way) will "throw the rope over the tree" and double down on their resistance to your plan.

Reactions: 2 people
...Anyway, I brought up some of my ideas regarding hiring specialized internet people. Was informed that this is more of a store-level decision but he was all about what I was trying to accomplish.
Basically, my next step is going to my GM and seeing where he stands in this whole process. I’m putting together an e-mail with all my numbers, proof, etc.

Pete,

If the leadership looks to accounting for a score card on the business's success, then you are doomed.

I suggest that you give your leadership a clear picture of the customer side of the business. Hire Jerry Thibeau's PhoneNinja svc to mystery shop your entire organization. The F&H DP will be shocked at how poorly his team is handling incoming calls AND will see the lost opportunities falling out of his pipe.

That's how you get the F&H DP and his managers to back you.

Pete,

Forget everything, THIS IS ABOUT YOU.

Selling cars is a team sport. You need to see a strong commitment that your leadership wants change and is ready to back you. Without it, you will fail and waste 1-2 years of your life.

DANGER DANGER DANGER!
The worst HIPPOs ever are Fat and happy mulit-millionaire Dealer Principals (F&H DPs). "Business Improvement" to these fat and happy HIPPOs totally not your definition of "Business Improvement". When you discuss "Business Improvement" to F&H DPs, an awesome idea is to them is change nothing and get more money for it. They are 1000% ready to overlook all of the lost opportunities just as long as they see no threat to their giant pipeline of incoming cash... Sorry Pete... the F&H DP sees your ideas as a cost -with- potential risk to his pipeline.

Remember, leadership buy-in is NOT your responsibility. THEY should be the agent of change, YOU should be the tool to help implement their plan. With a half-assed leadership buy-in, WHEN you make one mistake, the rank and file (that has been fighting you all the way) will "throw the rope over the tree" and double down on their resistance to your plan.

Wow! How true. Got the rope burns to prove it.

Made me think of this:

Joe, "change nothing and get more money for it." If we can only find the answer to that or how to make the net exceed the gross and we will both be rich.