• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Help, who has the KEYS to the?!?!?!?!

CARBIZ

Made Draw
May 17, 2010
First Name
Evan
All around my dealership I hear this question nonstop! No one can ever find the keys to anything. We have a KeyRegister system and I am looking to upgrade and install two more for a total of three Key systems (Sales, Service, and Body Shop). Can anyone recommend any good key systems that don't cost 15k a piece??? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Before I got here, there's this EPIC story of how an "organized" theft ring brought a couple carriers onto the lot on a Sunday, sprayed the on-the-glass metal key boxes with liquid nitrogen (or something like that), and a small hammer tap later, all the keys were on the ground. They drove the units onto carriers, and off they went. Rumor has it they were found a few years later in Poland.

We've struggled with that here too... we now employ the WoodenBox2000. (Maintenance hung wooden boxes in the managers' offices and laced them with hooks. And a padlock).

A salesperson once took the keys to a luxury car home with him, apparently told some hooker he's some high class general manager with a SL 500. She came in the next day wanting to 'take his car to drive around today.' He came in right after. He got bashed by the GM and owner in front of the girl. Guy said he accidently left the keys in his pocket, the 500th excuse. Girl got mad and left.. salesperson got fired. Had to be there.

We used to use the lockbox system until every salesperson went full retard and lost all the keys. So now we're back to old school board on the wall.

Reactions: 1 person
We use KeyTrack, it uses username password or finger print scan to retrieve keys in your name. Easily trackable, many reports, mostly maintenance free and expandable.

I know it can merge testdrive stats etc with Contact Manager data... we haven't implemented it yet.

We also had dealer plates tracked in there, but ultimately they just didn't fit right with the electronic tags.

We use KeyTrack, it uses username password or finger print scan to retrieve keys in your name. Easily trackable, many reports, mostly maintenance free and expandable.

I know it can merge testdrive stats etc with Contact Manager data... we haven't implemented it yet.

We also had dealer plates tracked in there, but ultimately they just didn't fit right with the electronic tags.

We keep our dealer tags in a locked drawer in the sales tower, then have a KeyTrak tag with the number written on it (well, written on a piece of paper taped to the KeyTrak tag). Salesmen pull the key, then the manager trades them out.

I know KeyTrak has prospect-collecting capabilities, but I've never read about it being able to integrate with ReyRey Contact Management. (More to it, I don't know if I'd want our salesmen hogging the KeyTrak machine to input that information!)

------------

As you can surmise, our store (as well as at least two other locations that I can confirm) use KeyTrak. It's not without its frustrations (generally circling around cost of additional units, which would prevent us from taming the not-really-occasional mayhem in service and detail), but overall we've had very few problems.

Reactions: 1 person
Here is our situation:

(Can't use keys on the glass due to insurance, although that was our first choice.... )

So we have 2 big metal cabinets on wheels, that can be rolled out onto the lot by the porters every morning for unlocking. The boards have 100 holes on each side, with a simple color coded peg system to track who has what keys.

It is a little more advanced than the woodenbox2000... but still lets us get the keys on the lot for easy lot parties and unlocking every day.

Best option I have found for our situation, I would just like the hardware to be more durable, the plastic parts fail after a year or 2 on some of the peg holes, and of course as plastic parts wear more and more it becomes difficult to lock the keys back into their slots.