• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Help with F&I

GrantG

Boss
Feb 17, 2012
Awards
First Name
Grant
I've been asked to head up our Internet Department and act as second chair finance at our store.

Now I've been in dealerships for 10+ years and realized that I've only twice sat through the F&I process. I have the paperwork down and am curious as to the "pitches" you've used to get maximum production out of your presentation.

What I'm looking for is an actual process including conversation points etc that get the job done right. You know, compliant and profitable.

Any takers?

Hi Grant, I fill in in our F&I time to time, been through many F&I classes, and I am a big advocate of doing F&I the right and compliant way. I'd be happy to help you.

What vendor are you using for Vehicle Service Contracts (VSC) and your other products? A good F&I partner will offer training on their products as well as word tracts and overcoming objections to help you maximize your potential. That is a great place to start.

If you believe in and trust your F&I director, they are a great source to help you.
**Caution - if you have an F&I manger that starts talking about "crushing" a customer or "throwing them against the wall to see if they will stick", I'd run! Other words, if they are old school, don't enroll!

My best advice, be yourself with your presentation, treat every customer how you would want to be treated or how you treat your grandmother! Don't get caught up in dealership lingo, fast talking, or other old school tactics - they are old. I use a menu 100% of the time, and I use the VSC (we use Allstate) brochure to guide people as to how the VSC can save them money and all it covers. There are lots of video's today, and we use those as well and they are great. We also interview each customer before they go into F&I, we introduce ourselves, sit down and make sure all the info is correct and ask some questions. How many miles a year they drive, etc. It breaks the ice, builds some report, and we show them we are here to help and how the process works and how long it will take.

Once in the office, I simply inform people of the options we offer through the menu, explain each option, answering any questions along the way, then I close by going over all the payment options on our menu and I always end with: "Mr. Jones, I just wanted to go over these important options with you and explain how it can save you money with your new vehicle. I was wondering if you have any other questions and which of these you think would benefit you the most with owning your new car" ............ and then I shut up. and I tell myself to keep quiet, wait for it to get a little awkward sometimes, and wait for the customer to speak. Once I did have a customer sit and stare at me and say, "so are we doing this whole he who talks first loses thing" - I laughed and I said, "I guess you just lost", he fessed up he'd been in RV sales as an F&I manager, but he bought a VSC!

The only downfall I see is if you are a smaller BDC and you might work shifts at night at weekends. If its just you, who is answering leads when you are in F&I for an hour doing a deal? Maybe this isn't the case though.

Thanks for the response. I will likely only bill 30 deals per month so timing is not a problem.

I have 2 salespeople who answer to me. I am moving from selling online to handeling our digital marketing, staff training, desking, and 100's of other tasks. The only fresh leads I will work at this point are the ones coming when my staff is too busy.

Ive billed out deals before but it was more of a print and sign to get somebody out real quick. I plan on a floor interview and using a modified menu presentation that works well for our store. I'm not worried about compliance or the selling of products. My question is more of a "setting the table" process type.

As far as VSC, we are mainly offering Acura Care for all customers. We do have All State tire and wheel and Wachovia Warranty Solutions products. Acura GAP too. No croak & choke, etch, or paint/fabric to worry about.

I am lucky, our Director is one of the most honest I've worked with. We don't "try" to bury our customers as all that does is get us huge chargebacks and bad CSI. It's an up and up store.

Do you know of any online recorded presentations to get a feel for different styles?

Thanks again Eley!

So far so good, no issues yet. Thanks for checking in!

My biggest headache is the paperwork that my sales team drops off. Seriously, how hard is it to get the insurance address?!? And they wonder why it takes time to get customers in the business office!

I used to have a real simple solution for this issue, if we were busy in F&I and I got to your deal and it was not complete I handed it back and your customer moved to the back of the line, it only took a couple of times for this happening and it never became another issue.

As for your past question, we used to have a video that the customer watched before they came into F&I it covered everything they would be doing in the office and helped kill time for them. Of course gotta use a menu, I like having dual screens for my PC and put one up for the customer to see.

Grant,

I originally came from the F&I chair, i think i have some PDF resources with trial closes and methods. Also if you'd like I participate in a social media group for F&I that is incredibly valuable. PM me if you'd like and i'll make either or both available.

Also, reach out to your F&I agent, they should have a ton of resources.

Grant,
I'm new to the forum, but can provide some good tips for your new role at the dealership. Do you do a customer interview before bringing the customer back to your office? I found this to be very helpful in many ways. First off, you can tackle the problems of missing information quickly. Also, you won't have any surprises about down payment, is it really a cash deal or outside lein, etc. When done properly, you will also quickly identify how what products and terms to offer your customer. I am doing F&I at the moment and ran 60% service contract penetration over the last 90 days. I average about 1.25 products per vehicle delivered. I attribute much of this to doing a proper interview...I've also been in the business for 13 years, so that doesn't hurt. Hope that helps a bit.

Grant,
I'm new to the forum, but can provide some good tips for your new role at the dealership. Do you do a customer interview before bringing the customer back to your office? I found this to be very helpful in many ways. First off, you can tackle the problems of missing information quickly. Also, you won't have any surprises about down payment, is it really a cash deal or outside lein, etc. When done properly, you will also quickly identify how what products and terms to offer your customer. I am doing F&I at the moment and ran 60% service contract penetration over the last 90 days. I average about 1.25 products per vehicle delivered. I attribute much of this to doing a proper interview...I've also been in the business for 13 years, so that doesn't hurt. Hope that helps a bit.

Welcome John to Dealer Refresh!

Great advice with the customer interview. We have a new F&I consultant and we sell entirely Allstate products now. Our new process is to do the customer interview and lightly endorse. This has helped raise our per copy in products.

We are also using some short video's with our products, like Glasscoat, prior to F&I, or even during. Quick 1 -3 min video's depending where you are in the process.

Its also good if you have a TV system like ABN, to include F&I product video's on those systems. Gets people asking!

Eley