• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Help with personnel

Baron Ringler

Getting Refreshed
Jul 6, 2010
First Name
Baron
So I am at a location where the owners do not allow personel decisions to be made on performance (except for managers), and I need to find a way to navigate the morass. Any time I walk in to a store, the very first thing I do is gauge the ability of the BDC Reps and salespeople to do the job. I don't go over performance as much as I identify who can actually do the job with proper training, then I make the moves that are necessary because you are doing no one a favor, including the Reps, by keeping them in a situation where they cannot and will not be successful. I currently have 12 BDC Reps and half of them shouldn't be in the position. They will never be successful to even industry-average standards, and therefore I cannot be successful either. But I'm not allowed to do what is necessary so the improvements are so smally incremental right now that it feels like I'm trying to steer the Titanic. I've been able to double production over 6 months but it's still HALF of where it needs to be. The high achievers are being pulled down by the low ones. I did get to hire 2 people with no experience and they started out on fire, but have been pulled back to the pack with the surrounding attitudes.

I need another approach because it's obvious that I'm not going to make things right the way things sit. Any and all ideas and suggestions would be appreciated because I've never run in to this situation before and although I do admire the commitment to people over employee it also becomes very difficult, near impossible, to acieve excellent performance.

Brittany

Getting Refreshed
Jun 25, 2019
First Name
Brittany
I don't have any experience with this from a manager perspective, but in other work positions with really diverse teams (in terms of performance), group training seemed to help a lot. You might not be able to make decisions based on performance, but that doesn't mean you can't put goals in place and fire up their seats a bit.

Some type of gamification might be helpful too! Hope this helps (: