• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How do TABS affect your reports.

JohnScott

Boss
Aug 23, 2009
First Name
ME inc
Most people, or a lot of people currently use TABS when they browse. If someone is on your site and right click "open in a new tab" an image or multiple pages doesnt that affect your reports when you read them and they say that person was on that page for 5 mins when in reality they could have been on another page or pages?

Does it matter? I see a lot of post here where people point out how long a person spends viewing a certain page, say inventory, but think that may be misleading when you take into consideration that more and more people are browsing with tabs.

I think this gets down to loading time. If you're delivering the content people want efficiently, then they should either complete their transaction in a sitting or become engaged where it's valuable. If you're not, then chances are they're doing something else while they're waiting for it to load.

Naturally, it's impossible to tell how many people are multitasking, however, it's universally incorrect so even if your numbers are off a little, at least they're universally incorrect.

Naturally, it's impossible to tell how many people are multitasking, however, it's universally incorrect so even if your numbers are off a little, at least they're universally incorrect.

A walk through any cyber cafe, or college computer room shold be enough to demonstrate that people surf the internet differently than they did just a year or two ago. I think TAB loading to circumvent load times may have been the case some time ago, but not so much anymore. But you have the numbers, and I dont, so Im just going on observation of people I see surfing, and from my experience as a moderator at IGN back in the day (you said you were a gamer!!:D)

I love that comment in the quote, thats hilarious.

John time on site and time on page should be taken as a general number... as user can leave the site open... and go do something else...

In analytic... as far as tab goes... as soon as you go to a new page on the same site in a different tab... it will change the users click track history and time on page would be updated... as to the system you have left the old page. For a bit more technical details see... Standard Metrics Revisited: #4 : Time on Page & Time on Site | Occam's Razor by Avinash Kaushik

To get better numbers some live chat software use Blur and Focus method of the window to figure out the time on page... i.e when the window is blur (user went to a different tab, different application) stop the timer when it is in focus (in tab, using browser) start the timer.

I'm in Nick's camp.

Traffic metrics, Tab browsing and site authority. Little has changed.

Shopper clicks around your site, then leaves your site to chase down a related thread. If the shopper finds your site important, they'll leave you open and circle back to you for more data.

Back in the day, I _blank'd every link into a new browser so I could keep the door open as long as possible.

To get better numbers some live chat software use Blur and Focus method of the window to figure out the time on page... i.e when the window is blur (user went to a different tab, different application) stop the timer when it is in focus (in tab, using browser) start the timer.

You can tell what tab a user is viewing? thats pretty cool. I did not know that.