1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Take Advantage of Viral Social Media Trends?

Discussion in 'Websites, SEO, SEM, Display, Social, Marketing' started by reverson, Jan 12, 2019.

This forum sponsored by...
  1. reverson

reverson
    Expand Collapse
    Jr. Refresher

First Name:
    Ryan
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Garber Automotive Group
    Social media tends to have a lot of posts and "challenges" that go viral? How do you take advantage of them at your dealership?

Here are some examples we've done in the past:
    • Pokemon
    • Blue & Black or White & Gold Dress
    • Bird Box Challenge
    • How Hard Did You Age Challenge
    Being able to piggy back on these viral trends quickly can help humanize your dealership and get your message out - whether it is a newly released model or a great deal on a new car.

age post.JPG

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    • Like Like x 2
  2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. Alexander Lau

Alexander Lau
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Alex
    https://www.verticalrail.com/kb/what-does-going-viral-mean/

While “going viral” is a relatively simple concept, defining the threshold or benchmark for when something has actually “gone viral” is complicated. There are a number of controversial factors to consider, including: number of views/shares/links, how many unique users the content has reached, the rate at which the content is consumed, and the lifetime of the content.

Some video data analysts argue the benchmark of 100,000 views, since 53% on YouTube videos have fewer than 500 views, with less than 1% having more than 1 million views. On the other hand, some analysts argue that it’s not the number of views or shares a piece of content receives; it’s purely the rate at which the content is consumed. If it receives 40,000 hits in 4 hours, but then dwindles, it could still be considered “viral”.

Facebook defines virality as “the number of people who have created a story from your post as a percentage of the number of people who have seen it.” In other words, the virality of your post is measured by how many people have taken action after they've seen it. If, for example, one thousand people have seen the new video you uploaded but only two liked or shared it, that video isn't viral even though it's been seen by large number of people. If, however, half of those one thousand people liked or shared the video, its virality percentage is much higher.

The bottom line is that the threshold for content having “gone viral” is relative. Regardless, in this day and age, we tend to know something has “gone viral” when we see it.

-----------------

Although those benchmarks might be slightly dated it's something to consider. I've posted quite a few dealership posts (what I would consider interesting, shareable content) in my time, but very few live up to the aforementioned "viral" benchmark or similar benchmarks that I've seen. Very few organic (dealership) social media posts have gone truly "viral," IMO. Seems a bit too subjective.

The fact is that you cannot make something go viral. There is no magic formula; no perfect script or step-by-step guide.

I posted some best practices a few years ago here. I don't know if all of them are still relevant and frankly are tactics like this going to go "viral", maybe...? That depends on the content and audience.

#2 Alexander Lau, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  4. ryan.leslie

ryan.leslie
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Ryan
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRater
    Twitter Handle:
    jrleslie
    Awesome work on the "aging" challenge material @reverson@reverson!