• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How to attract Gen Y sales people

Yes, we can certainly add some more posts and videos to our Facebook, website, etc. That can potentially attract someone that may be considering to work at Carbiz. Seeing is believing an delivery photos need to become a habit/policy.

So the Subaru store has non commissioned employees... How much would you guys think is a fair offer for an hourly rate for sales?

Yes, we can certainly add some more posts and videos to our Facebook, website, etc. That can potentially attract someone that may be considering to work at Carbiz. Seeing is believing an delivery photos need to become a habit/policy.

So the Subaru store has non commissioned employees... How much would you guys think is a fair offer for an hourly rate for sales?

I doubt they are paid hourly only, my guess its a mix of flat, per unit, bonus and CSI scores come in to play as well.

Reactions: 1 person
Never on my sales floor! No candy ass has a place in the car business.

Uncle Crusty,

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Your way is just one.

If you want a new & different breed of recruits, and they don't want to come, then It all traces to the culture of our biz. You just can't put a happy face on it, you have to blow up the old model and make a new one.

For example, One price stores are popping up all over. This model is looks at the "lifetime value of a customer", not just this months value. The idea here is to create a shopping experience based on knowledge and helpfulness. This sales experience is but one part of the entire lifetime experience. The summary here is if you train the staff to qualify properly (aka ask & listen) and remove the commission anxiety, you'll have started a new shopper experience.

Again, it's just another way to sell a car.

Matt, think about this for a sec.

EVERY CAR DEALER THINKS THEY ARE SPECIAL.

If you're truly different, you need to find a great story teller. Their mission is to find ways to let shoppers peek in behind the curtain.

p.s. Personality sells cars! See the DR threads here on product videos from Zappos and eBags. See how the vibe of the store comes into the video presentation.

Uncle Crusty thinks they're worth 2 bucks ;-).

IMO, take the total variable commission costs of selling cars for this store for one year. Think about the "ideal head count" for your floor. Divide total projected commission costs by projected head count. Then, peel off 10-20% for recruiting, training, bonus, employee bonding events, etc.

FYI, in this hourly model, the responsibility of the stores financial performance is moved to management. Managers of this model will be teachers & evangelists, not Uncle Crusty's ;-) This means the DP is on the hook for the quality of manager recruitment and support.

Lastly, in this model, the ROI from this model should be seen in higher absorption rates and higher repeat & referral sales.

Joe, understand that the dealers are not going to pay the same amount for clerks as they would for salespeople. I can see dealerships hiring these tour guides as part time employees avoiding paying benefits.

Do you think that the quality of Sales Managers is on the rise? Employee bonding? I can't think of a more miserable profession if it wasn't for the money. Training? The lack of training is the main reason for the huge turnover at most dealerships. All the heavy hitters have gone to the few good stores that are left. They do tend to be market leaders.

My advise to any young person going into automotive sales, learn a trade. (Crusty enough?)

Doug, if you use Chrome for your browser you should definitely install this extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/millennials-begone/dlgjecnejicmpdknhangcbeahbgipolf?hl=en

Whenever the word "millenials" is used online it gets changed to "pesky whipper-snapper." :D

As for the actual conversation, I don't think you need to focus on hiring a specific generation. I know people of all ages that can barely turn on a computer, let alone code a page for a website. Every generation also has a wide variety of learning curves. Just because a generation is pigeonholed as "tech savvy" doesn't mean it's true. I know plenty of 20-30 somethings that can't type well, don't like continued learning and would prefer to just turn in their 9-5 time card to get paid.

I do side with Doug on the veterans thing. The initial commitment for many military agreements is only 4-5 years. That means that you could potentially find veterans as young as 22. However, these individuals have experienced long hours, and are not strangers to hard work. This would fit both of your requirements, and get you someone that's a lot more seasoned. The only long hours you see from most 20-30 somethings is playing Call of Duty for 14 hours straight.

Just for openness and honesty, I am one of your Gen Y'ers. Not all of us are tech savvy internet wizards.

Reactions: 2 people