• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Huge News - Facebook will no longer allow third-party data for targeting ads

I'd be curious by what you mean when you say "partner with Oracle to create campaigns". Are you saying they are buying Oracle Data and then using it as a custom audience in FB?

Dave, I guess partner wasn't the most accurate word -- one of the words I use frequently =) Yes, "they" purchase Oracle Data to create custom audiences -- I don't believe Oracle is the only data that is utilized though, and they do not promote ads or incentives -- the goal is to match the in-market shopper based on the actual vehicle they are in market for to your specific inventory, so all the customer will see is the vehicle they want - in some cases, down to the actual color they are interested in. SO, if I was interested in a 2017 Ford Explorer, but you didn't have one on your lot, then I wouldn't see anything from you -- BUT, if you had a 2017 Ford Explorer, I would see it in my feed and that would link me directly to that specific VDP on your website. Drives high Click Thrus when they see exactly what they want in front of them =) There's another component to the solution that drives phone calls and emails only, but that's throughout other networks, not FB.

Dave, I guess partner wasn't the most accurate word -- one of the words I use frequently =) Yes, "they" purchase Oracle Data to create custom audiences -- I don't believe Oracle is the only data that is utilized though, and they do not promote ads or incentives -- the goal is to match the in-market shopper based on the actual vehicle they are in market for to your specific inventory, so all the customer will see is the vehicle they want - in some cases, down to the actual color they are interested in. SO, if I was interested in a 2017 Ford Explorer, but you didn't have one on your lot, then I wouldn't see anything from you -- BUT, if you had a 2017 Ford Explorer, I would see it in my feed and that would link me directly to that specific VDP on your website. Drives high Click Thrus when they see exactly what they want in front of them =) There's another component to the solution that drives phone calls and emails only, but that's throughout other networks, not FB.

That is interesting. I'm not sure how it plays with the new rules (especially since Oracle is one of the partners who are being removed) or how it will play with FB's new custom audience permission tool. Sounds powerful, but the FB custom audiences are now pretty expressly limited to proprietary data.

That is interesting. I'm not sure how it plays with the new rules (especially since Oracle is one of the partners who are being removed) or how it will play with FB's new custom audience permission tool. Sounds powerful, but the FB custom audiences are now pretty expressly limited to proprietary data.

Dave, as of this moment, based on what "this company" currently does, I am told that there will be no changes to the actual solution nor to the results. I don't understand what goes on on the backend, but I remain hopeful that what I hear will not change, and if it changes, I only hope to see it get even better. =)

I would suggest watching the results pretty closely. If they weren't using Oracle Data as the partner data built into FB, actually purchasing it, that would be extremely expensive even for a partner. If they are using Oracle Data and uploading it as a custom audience, they are literally bypassing the statement requiring that the data is your own customer file to do it. If they have been using the Oracle Data in FB's partner program (in market shoppers by vehicle)...it is gone already for all intents and purposes.

I was feeling strong I guess :)

Honestly Jeff I am just fired up because that data is screaming at me what to do. Plus, I see all of the sins in our business that caused this. Quite simply we ignore sales loyalty in marketing, process, pay plans and hiring choices.

Here is another way to look at it. The highest expressed metric is one where a customer chooses to do business with you twice. You have to do so much right over such a long time to achieve this and arguably every other up-stream metric impacts it.

In the last 2 months I have asked this exact question over 150 times:

"What percentage of total monthly sales have a prior relationship with the dealership?"

The average response from a dealership is 45%. The average response from an agency/marketer is 65%

This is why I am fired up
So smart, but you're a couple in a million though. :)
---------
poor-people_o_7221185.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ed.brooks
Many years ago: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bridai...ata-used-in-millions-of-studies/#59df6a4a5de8

Social media like Facebook and Twitter are far too biased to be used blindly by researchers, two computer scientists have warned.

Writing in today’s issue of Science, Carnegie Mellon’s Juergen Pfeffer and McGill’s Derek Ruths have warned that scientists are treating the wealth of data gathered by social networks as a goldmine of what people are thinking – but frequently they aren’t correcting for inherent biases in the dataset.

Most scientists are already aware of these issues and correct for the biases in social media data, Pfeffer said, using existing techniques used in epidemiology, statistics and machine learning. But if scientists want to keep mining social data, they may need to come up with new ways to manage analytic bias.

Tisk... tisk...

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/zuckerberg-testimony-european-parliament/

Guy Verhofstadt, chair of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe, said Europeans want Facebook to accept regulations for its platform.

He also wanted to know if Facebook would "open your books" to see if it has a monopoly over social media.

"I really think we have a big problem here," he told Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg today.

Verhofstadt then asked Zuckerberg to think deeply about his legacy and future.

"You have to ask yourself: How you will be remembered as one of the big internet giants, together with Steve Jobs, I should say, and Bill Gates, who have enriched our world and our societies?"