• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Illegal Aliens Selling Cars.

ddavis

Boss
Jun 28, 2011
First Name
Doug
I think that I have said this before, but I am happily retired from the car business. This is a rant and some might think that I am a racist. People that actually know me, know this is far from the truth.

It is not uncommon for dealerships, in Texas, to hire out their detail and get-ready work to businesses to do this on site. It isn't a shock to anyone that most of these companies hire illegals.

I was talking to a car buddy, who was telling me about dealerships that hire Hispanic crews to sell cars to Hispanic customers. Like the detail and get-ready crews, these are also illegals.

There are banks, in Texas, that will finance illegal aliens.

I have a business that takes pictures, edits those and writes new and used car descriptions. I don't know anyone else that does that. I hire college students. It is a great part-time job for a college student. They make three to four times what they could make elsewhere and work a schedule around their studies. I really don't do this for the money.

I am deeply offended when I see illegal aliens selling cars in a new car dealership. People need to wake up, if they think that illegals only pick fruits and vegetables. They don't do jobs that Americans won't do. In Texas, you will not be able to find a Brick Mason, Roofing Crew or Road Construction crew made up on citizens. These jobs once provided middle class incomes.

We have a job market. Like all markets, it works under supply and demand. When you have a huge influx of cheap labor, it effects wages for the middle class and especially the working poor.

Actually, one of the women was seriously hot.

Since 2000, we have had more jobs go to immigrants (legal and illegal) than have gone to citizens. I find it offensive to see illegals selling cars and Texas has low unemployment. I'm sure that people that live in states with high unemployment would find it more offensive.

Doug,

I think are to many things to consider here before we judge.

What do you think its one of the biggest problem most dealer/businesses have? Finding people that want to work. We are not even talking about finding talented people or people that want to work 10-12 hours every day ...

How does one know if another is illegal without looking at their "papers"?

You can run a background check on prospect employees and make sure that they have a history, real SSN, etc.

While I understand that we have issues with our current law when it comes to things like checks and enforcement this should actually easy to spot for an individual business.

I believe it comes as a personal choice to the employer, and to agree with Stephan, sometimes a matter of need.

To my point and trying to avoid futile political arguments, I think we can agree that there is a distinction between legal and illegal.

I was the Used Car Manager at a large Chevy/Dodge store in Dallas. This is the store where I first became interested in the internet. It was in an area with a huge Hispanic population. I had a really good sales floor and all but a couple spoke Spanish. I still keep in contact with many of these people to this day.

I have absolutely no problem with legal immigration; in fact, I believe the country is greatly benefited from it. Most of them are more patriotic than the majority of people that are born here. They are more appreciative of the opportunities America provides.

No, I haven't checked their papers but my buddy is a legal immigrant from Columbia and Spanish is her first language. She resents them being there. They don't work directly for the dealership but through an "agency".

Stephan, if we can get people to work cheap and 12 hour days, then it is OK? We have more people out of work, in this country, than any time in our history. The majority of jobs being created are part time without benefits. People have this misconception that all of these people flooding across the border pick fruits and vegetables and do jobs that citizens don't want to do. In Texas, you can't find a brick mason, roofing crew or road construction crew that are citizens. These jobs once paid middle class incomes. When you see illegals, taking jobs in your area, you start to get concerned.

I have absolutely no problem with legal immigration; in fact, I believe the country is greatly benefited from it.

Doug,

Legal immigration is part of countries agreements, a far different subject than illegal immigration. Other than Lybia, Dubai, North Korea, and some other forsaken places most countries have some type of legal immigration policies.

Being from Spain, there are plenty of North Americas coming, falling in love with a Spanish woman, and deciding to stay :)