• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

I'm new to Ford... help please!

tanya2791

Tie Cut
Jul 20, 2010
First Name
Tanya
Hi all- sorry to reopen an old thread but I am in desperate need of some help!!! I am starting at a Ford dealership pretty soon as their Internet Sales Manager. I previously worked for a small hometown Chevrolet and Dodge dealership for 5 years running their internet department but when it comes to Ford I am clueless about who to contact about updating their website, how to set up online credit applications and so forth. This dealership is literally starting from the grown up! (Just Google Fort Kent, Maine and you will know exactly what I am talking about!) My husband and I relocated to the Canadian border from Georgia for a job opportunity. As much as I told myself I am never getting back into the car business I met a REALLY nice Ford dealership in desperate need of my help. (The new owner is new to the industry and has only had the dealership for 4 months!)

I feel comfortable with the social media piece but as far as the basics I could really use some guidance. Let me first give you some insight on this dealership- I feel like I am sitting on a gold mind once I get it up and running! - It is located on the border of New Brunswick Canada, their dollar is worth about 30% more then ours so many buyers purchase from the U.S., the next closest Ford dealership is 40 miles away, there is only 1 other dealership in town (Chevrolet) and they are not using the internet as of right now, AND most importantly my dealer is willing to support me 100% and get aggressive on price in order to move inventory!

Can ya'll please give me some advice to get me started? I have my 3rd meeting on Friday with the owner and I would like to be prepared. Please feel free to post or message me- I need all the help I can get ASAP! ...

If you think that CA will be a good market for you... frm experience I know Canadians will be looking at your market, website, etc, so make sure you SEO a good message along the lines of: "we can export to CA", "Canadian buyers: We can do all the paperwork for you", "we know all the requirements for Canadians to bring your new Ford thru the border", etc, etc.

Reactions: 1 person
If you think that CA will be a good market for you... frm experience I know Canadians will be looking at your market, website, etc, so make sure you SEO a good message along the lines of: "we can export to CA", "Canadian buyers: We can do all the paperwork for you", "we know all the requirements for Canadians to bring your new Ford thru the border", etc, etc.

+1
Tanya, don't take what Yago said lightly. This could be a huge pipeline for you. I've sold a half a dozen used cars referrals from TWO customers who keep sending me referrals from Canada. I have no idea why they drive all the way down here, but they do. They are a close nit bunch up there. Go the extra mile, make the process very smooth and keep in contact with them. Believe me they will send you people, they're in your back yard.

oh and get them to write a google review about how easy it was to purchase from the Americans :)

We built this for a client a while ago: Seattle Infiniti Dealership, Washington WA | Infiniti of Kirkland

Just get your website company to get it done for you. You just need to do the homework and provide them with everything they need content wise, this one we built will help you gather that content easier.

The site itself is simple, notice that we just framed in the inventory and put a few extra links, but the SEO works alright and it is easy to use the domain for advertising in print, billboards close to the border, etc.

They have similar info in their main site (we dont build franchised dealer sites-it is built by Motorwebs) but it is a goode xample of how to also re-use this info: http://www.infinitiofkirkland.com/infiniti-canadian

Bzweifel- Thank you very much! I am writing everything down so I can build a 90-day statagy.

As far as getting the website credit application started I am clueless. My current owner does not know any numbers to Ford so I feel llike I am going to spend the majority of my 90 days fishing for information and resources.

Another area I need help with is payplans. At my previous dealership I was paid a monthly salary of $2,000 plus commission. Here, I do not even want to get into the commission piece until a solid foundation is laid. Keep in mind- I am living in the "north pole" where salaries are low. What should I ask or what things should I keep in mind?"

Also, I am going to be working from home 1/2 of the time because right now space is limited. The dealer has agreed to purchase any items needed to get me started. What should I ask for...

Bzweifel- Thank you very much! I am writing everything down so I can build a 90-day statagy.

As far as getting the website credit application started I am clueless. My current owner does not know any numbers to Ford so I feel llike I am going to spend the majority of my 90 days fishing for information and resources.

Another area I need help with is payplans. At my previous dealership I was paid a monthly salary of $2,000 plus commission. Here, I do not even want to get into the commission piece until a solid foundation is laid. Keep in mind- I am living in the "north pole" where salaries are low. What should I ask or what things should I keep in mind?"

Also, I am going to be working from home 1/2 of the time because right now space is limited. The dealer has agreed to purchase any items needed to get me started. What should I ask for...

Payplans... I know nothing about. Websites, try to get something going with whoever they already use since this CA project is simple. If not, look for a small local company and don;t complicate things, just frame the inventory from your main website, reuse their credit app, etc.