• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Integrating inventory into my website

"it can be prevented if you know what you're doing"

@craigh that's the key, right?

100%
and vendors that use Wordpress typically have a guy on staff who is responsible for that stuff.
What concerns me is dealers spinning up their own Themeforest theme (that never gets updates) on a Wordpress install on some shared hosting platform. That almost always ends badly.

100%
and vendors that use Wordpress typically have a guy on staff who is responsible for that stuff.
What concerns me is dealers spinning up their own Themeforest theme (that never gets updates) on a Wordpress install on some shared hosting platform. That almost always ends badly.

And that's why I'm staying away from "Automotive Themes" on TF and just using our standard multipurpose theme. I remember CarDealerPress even suggesting to use a standard Genesis theme and build your way up.

When we had our own custom in-house Wordpress website we used the WP All Import plugin to import our inventory feed into a custom post type that was utilizing the Advanced Custom Fields plugin. Getting the inventory on the site was the easy part though, where we ran into issues was with the search results page and search filtering.

Honestly you're better off going with a proven wordpress website provider like Dealer Inspire that offers you the flexibility of Wordpress but without all of the inventory related headaches.

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
100%
Yes, we definitely have commented and agreed on this in the past. Holy cow, if you download a Themeforest automotive theme, who do you think is going to support it? You cannot rely on a 3rd party developer (you don't even know) to do that. Now, you might be able buy the theme off of him for a high price and find a dedicated WP team, but that's costly.

When we had our own custom in-house Wordpress website we used the WP All Import plugin to import our inventory feed into a custom post type that was utilizing the Advanced Custom Fields plugin. Getting the inventory on the site was the easy part though, where we ran into issues was with the search results page and search filtering.

Honestly you're better off going with a proven wordpress website provider like Dealer Inspire that offers you the flexibility of Wordpress but without all of the inventory related headaches.
Precisely or any other automotive website providers using WordPress. Such as: