Invest in your future... The Future is Hybrid and Electric Transportation

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
The next wave of transportation is Hybrid and Electric propulsion. It's going to grow from ONE high profile unit (the Prius) into main stream and it's about time!

I'm an old wallstreet trader and I see signs of a multi-year wave taking shape. I'll add companies that are at the bleeding edge (and are publicly traded).

Tesla (TSLA $28.50) is a great story of 2 brave brothers with a tested history of success. My Twitter followers know that I believe major news is coming. Great Video lays it all out:
Tesla's Musk Interview About Model S, SpaceX - Video - Bloomberg
TSLA's has 2great partners that are believers, Toyota and MB. Don't bet against the Musk brothers, they got brains and daring and no one is too big to tackle (see SpaceX).

Quantum Fuel Systems Technologies (QTWW $5.30) is a tiny company that I've been following forever (pre-2004). They makes the high performance electric motors (Quantum Drive) and is a Fisker Motors Investor. QTWW just signed a joint deal with F and DOW to supply 150 F150 Hybrids.

Great video from Quantum Technologies FYI

QTWW is an example of an old wall street rule, The greatest way to play a gold rush is to invest in shovels and wheelbarrows (not the gold ;-).

I'll add more to this thread as time allows. Ballard Power (BLDP) is another player that I need to re-visit. There are more.

NOTE: All of these companies are VERY VERY RISKY. Most will fail. If you invest, Do your homework

Last edited:
One thing i don't understand is why manufacturers don't use smaller engines. Most cars today have 50% more horsepower than they did 10-15 years ago. They can easily improve fuel economy by doing this and lowering vehicle weight.

I think cars like the Leaf, Prius and Volt are the future. But as someone who enjoys sports cars, it is weird to think of driving a car without an intoxicating exhaust note. It will take a while to get use to that electric whirling noise.

Last edited:
I'm excited to see where it all goes, but I'm glad to see the tendency among auto manufacturers to utilize smaller and/or more potent engines - Chevy Cruze springs to mind with the little turbo four-pot it's swinging.

I'm a big fan of ridiculous speed and excess tire smoke (slowest car I've owned is my current GTI at about 205hp; hooray for launch control) but I'm looking forward to driving this next crop of vehicles. Between KERS from Porsche and Volvo, fun diesels (I have a love affair with diesel cars and live in America; this is like being fond of Sushi and living in the Sahara), hybrid vehicles that "get it" and pure electrics I think I'll have no shortage of fun cars to look forward to.

But for all the hooting made around the states about the sound of a V8 - and working for a Chevy dealer to hear a 2009 Z06 rev and having owned an LS4 equipped Grand Prix and loving every burbling belch of it - can you honestly tell me there's nothing sexy about the exhaust note of a five-cylinder? The cacophonous, shrill scream of a turbocharger cranking up the effective displacement of a small and rev-happy engine? The guttural whine of a supercharger spooling up for that extra kick in the pants? The purr and intake howl of a direct injected engine? The creepy way diesels just roar and go? The haunting and eerily unaccompanied burst of sound and tire smoke only an electric car can conjure?

As long as it goes where I point it, lets me swing the tail when I'm feeling silly and doesn't understeer like a two-ton brick I'm a happy man. Reduce weight, improve engines and transition to electrics for all I care; just leave the spirit of a good drive in the machine.

A 37MPG Buick Lacrosse?... standard equipment -and- IT'S COMING THIS FALL?

Quick Spin: 2012 Buick LaCrosse eAssist — Autoblog

GM has produced a 'mild hybrid" called it eAssist. Wow, Now we're talking smart!

FIRE OPEC, BUY A BUICK!

I know a guy!

(It's a good time to be a Buick dealer with the Regal GS, Verano, and eAssist LaCrosse and Regal all hitting this year...but I'm not going to lie, I'm geeking out most over the eAssist LaCrosse. Now they need to put that into the GMC Terrain, already our fuel economy poster child...)

I know a guy!

(It's a good time to be a Buick dealer with the Regal GS, Verano, and eAssist LaCrosse and Regal all hitting this year...but I'm not going to lie, I'm geeking out most over the eAssist LaCrosse. Now they need to put that into the GMC Terrain, already our fuel economy poster child...)

I don't know where I heard this, but it stuck...

"Buick, the new Lexus."