• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

DealerMarketing

Smashing Bugs
Apr 22, 2012
First Name
Kevin
I have a dealer client who wants an iphone app. Had a vendor who offered a $1400 set-up and a $100/mo charge. The app could be downloaded or txt from the vendors website to the customers cell phone. This price would not include hosting the dealerships app in the app store. Itunes would cost an additional $100 per/mo. IMO.. this appears high priced to me. Anyone here know of any good vendors that deals with iphone apps?

I have a dealer client who wants an iphone app. Had a vendor who offered a $1400 set-up and a $100/mo charge. The app could be downloaded or txt from the vendors website to the customers cell phone. This price would not include hosting the dealerships app in the app store. Itunes would cost an additional $100 per/mo. IMO.. this appears high priced to me. Anyone here know of any good vendors that deals with iphone apps?

In an effort to be transparent, my business builds and sells privately branded applications that are listed on Apple, Android, and RIM. That being said, what does the app give the dealer from a content standpoint? If they are only looking for basic features like a geographic locator and links to mobile optimized web pages, then yes that is a pretty realistic price point. At a recent trade show I was at there were solutions as low as $50/month, however, you were housed inside of the creators app which cut down on listing fees on the app store.

However, if they are looking for content that is more interactive and they want more functionality such as reporting, or the ability to create marketing pushes and notifications that are sent to the users smartphone they may be lacking those options. Just to give you more information, please feel free to look at this link, Mobile App. That being said our solution is more expensive than the one you just listed, however, it provides a much more inclusive marketing and engagement opportunity than what they are looking at.

If you ever want to chat about mobile app features and content, feel free to private message me.

I think it really depends on the functionality. Based on what you've listed here, the "need" just to push to the OEM site is not a very feature-laden request, so it really shouldn't cost much. Honestly though, that functionality isn't going to get very many consumers excited. The biggest pricing difference really comes in to play if you have an on-line service scheduler product that can book real service appointments (not email requests). I'd be more than happy to show you are product called the Be-Back App (it did win the Driving Sales Conference Innovation Award last fall and an NADA award from PCG consulting...)

One more word of caution: Be careful to buy an app from a reputable company. If you get an app out there in your consumers hands and the company abandons you for any reasons, those apps could go unsupported and your consumers will wind up with a very bad experience.

Reactions: 1 person