• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

It just got REAL! $5 per post starting 12/3

This will severely limit spammers, lead providers, and dealers posting 7-8 times a day.

Less duplicate cars, gimmicks, and ads means easier search for customers and more site usability. The traffic remains the same and the site is much cleaner to use, the dealers left will do even better than they used to.

Pay to post limits the games people can play.

If you have 100 cars and you post them every week once this will cost you $2000 plus something like $500-1000 to manage the postings. You no longer need to post them every day or multiple times per day.

Reactions: 6 people
Ok there will just be more spam under "by owner". It's already happened in the ticket section...

I really hope some dealers pull out, it will be even easier for us to make high quality ads and sell more cars. Less selection may mean less traffic and less buyers. although I'm more concerned about paying for posts and still having them deleted or flagged once in a while.

Reactions: 1 person
Agreed. I showed the printout (and our ad counts for the past few months) to the GSM, and we're just going to budget for it and roll on as we've been doing. Five bucks a car (ten if it ages) won't kill anyone, from dirt lots to AutoNation...though losing the ability to renew stings a little bit. I imagine we'll monitor and adjust.

I recently stopped posting on CL, mostly because your posts were buried in no time with all the other posts. I agree with yagoparamo that it will slow that down a lot but I have never felt CL was a strong lead provider anyways. I know I will get a lot of arguments about that, and probably a few vendors wanting to do posting for me, but honestly I have been on CL for several years and as it was so so in the beginning the majority of leads generated are unqualified, out of are or unmotivated. Now with $5 a post (which I am genuinely suprised it too craigslists this long) it is an even easier decision. 150 used x $5 x 4 weeks = $2400 + cost of manpower or vendor to add the posts just for low quality leads to begin with. I already get plenty of those from other expensive 3rd parties. ;)

Agreed. I showed the printout (and our ad counts for the past few months) to the GSM, and we're just going to budget for it and roll on as we've been doing. Five bucks a car (ten if it ages) won't kill anyone, from dirt lots to AutoNation...though losing the ability to renew stings a little bit. I imagine we'll monitor and adjust.

That's awful that you can't renew. Are they only going to stay on there until the end of the month or until you remove the vehicle?

I recently stopped posting on CL, mostly because your posts were buried in no time with all the other posts. I agree with yagoparamo that it will slow that down a lot but I have never felt CL was a strong lead provider anyways. I know I will get a lot of arguments about that, and probably a few vendors wanting to do posting for me, but honestly I have been on CL for several years and as it was so so in the beginning the majority of leads generated are unqualified, out of are or unmotivated. Now with $5 a post (which I am genuinely suprised it too craigslists this long) it is an even easier decision. 150 used x $5 x 4 weeks = $2400 + cost of manpower or vendor to add the posts just for low quality leads to begin with. I already get plenty of those from other expensive 3rd parties. ;)

I think it is $5 per 30 days.

Reactions: 1 person
$5 fee for "Cars/Trucks by Dealer" ads starting 12/3 - FAQ

Q. What is happening on 12/3?
A. Ads posted to "cars/trucks by dealer" for CL sites in the US will be charged $5 per ad.
Q. How long will paid car/truck ads last? Can they be edited? Renewed? Reposted?
A. 30 days. Live ads can be edited. No renewals. Reposts are $5.
Q. What forms of payments will be accepted?
A. VISA, Mastercard, Amex will be accepted as part of the posting process for car/truck ads.
Q. Are volume discounts, flat rate, or monthly "all you can eat" plans available?
A. No. $5 per posting. One vehicle per ad.
Q. Can I purchase a block of postings in advance?
A. Yes - blocks can be purchased by paid account holders. Sign up here
Q. Is monthly invoicing available?
A. Not at this time.
Q. Will a bulk posting interface be available?
A. Yes. Large volume posters can request bulk access ($5 per ad) at [email protected] (please include name and phone number)
Q. Is a paid posting account required?
A. No, but they can be helpful for volume posters. Sign up here.
Q. Can ads include hyper links, templates, and external images?
A. No. Please include all relevant information for the specific vehicle being sold in your craigslist ad.
Q. Will paid ads be subject to flagging?
A. Yes, but ads will be reviewed before any removals take place. TOU violations will not be refunded.
Q. What happens if a dealer posts in "by owner" to avoid the fee.
A. They will be subject to ad removal and other remedial actions. Please flag dealer ads you see in "by owner."
Q. What will happen to ads in this category posted before 12/3?
A. Ads posted prior to 12/3 won't be renewable (and will be subject to removal) after 12/3. Reposts will cost $5.
Q. What if I have additional questions or want to comment?
A. Please send questions and comments to [email protected]

Reactions: 5 people