• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Lead follow-up magic number

JohnH

Full Sticker + Prep
Nov 20, 2011
Awards
First Name
John
Hey guys,

I have recently spent a lot of time trying to optimize the efficiencies of our BDC agents, we call our customer's as soon as they submit a lead. The current process we have is not the most efficient process and in my opinion needs to be reduced to better maximize the time each agent puts on contacting customer's, I am just wondering what the magic number of times to reach customer is the optimal one. The way we start is once a lead is submitted with a phone number and an email, we:

(IF lead is submitted in the morning)

1st Telephone with voicemail- When lead is received
1st Email - Right after the 1st phone call

2nd phone call will be done by done opposing shift, if the first phone call was made in the morning we will do the following one during the evening shift - with voicemail

2nd Email - right after the first email on the following day

3rd phone call - will be done on the next day in the morning

4th phone call - will be done at night of the same day as the 3rd phone call

5th phone call - will be done the following morning

6th phone call - will be done at night of the 5th phone call

7th phone call - will be done the next morning

8th phone call - will be done on the same day at night

9th phone call - will be done on the following day of the 7th phone call

10 phone call - will be done at night of the 9th phone call

What is the magic number at your BDC?

The reason we do it on the same day is because they are on opposite shifts. (2 different group's of BDC agents)

Thank you,
JohnH

John, I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing. I wonder if having two different people calling might confuse or even alienate the customer. I did send two emails on the first day and two the next. Several days later, I would send another. If the customer was interested in a new car, I would send them a used car email. I also liked to send a lease special. I had a good response on the benefits of certified used.

As I only have part-timers in my BDC right now, I always wind up having different voices on the phone with customers. I have found most people don't really realize it happens. I have them trained to say "we" and "team" and if someone ever questions the change in voice (there is at least a 30 year difference after all) we overcome the issue by telling the customer we work as a team to provide the best customer service. My green peas had 41% lead to show for their first month ever - which for floor closed at over 65%.

My vote is for creating, training, and implementing a process - then testing and fine tuning it. Nothing in magic - but think about different steps by type/origination of lead - and maybe a few more emails.

Last edited:
I would attack this issue with a different bent: how many relevant communications do you need?

(Hint... the answer is: 1). What we are talking about here is creating engagement. You do that by making your correspondence extremely relevant to the request -- starting with the Subject line.

Give your internet leads an excellent reason and desire to write or call you back, and you don't need to worry about the number of calls or emails.

Reactions: 2 people