• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Learn from Levi's: Are you an ambassador or an assassin? The change boat is leaving. You can get on or be left behind.

Jim K

Skate Alert
May 5, 2019
Awards
First Name
Jim
Are you an ambassador or an assassin? The change boat is leaving. You can get on or be left behind.

I’ve been quietly following many of the discussions and learning on DR for some time now. Thank you for that (you guys are hilarious sometimes, BTW). Unless I had something of value to add, I’ve been reluctant to chime in. But today I want to share this great article from Fast Company on Levi’s. It’s dated but still very relevant. Maybe even more today. It’s going to get bad for many, many families and businesses. But I also see the opportunity for many of you to lead change.

As you read the piece you’ll recognize many of the issues all industries are currently facing. Leadership, change management, HR, strategy, changing consumer needs, vendor management, etc., etc., etc.. It will be eerily familiar for many of you with some excellent reminders and take-aways.

COVID-19 has clearly amplified the need and urgency for change.

Grab a coffee and take ten. There’s something here for everyone.
https://www.fastcompany.com/27014/levis-changes-everything.

@john.quinn you asked from some inspiration. Hope this helps.

-------- [Here are some excerpts that stood out for me. Remember this is almost 25 years ago.] ---------
  • What’s the difference between an ambassador and an assassin?

• You change when customers say you have to change. One of my favorite warnings about the hazards of success comes from Andy Grove at Intel: “There is at least one point in the history of any company when you have to change dramatically to rise to the next performance level. Miss that moment and you start to decline.”

• There comes a point, though, where you have to be very clear about where you’re going. The boat is leaving the dock. There are plenty of seats for everyone, but you have to choose whether you’re going to get on board. Everyone has a voice. Not everyone has a vote.

• Customers are more demanding and powerful. Suppliers are more numerous and dispersed. Consumers are more fickle.

• “You can’t expect people to change if you don’t give them the tools”

• “Carry the wounded but shoot the stragglers”? We made it clear that we weren’t going to “shoot” anyone. We promised to do everything in our power to bring people along. That doesn’t mean everyone wants to come along. Some people genuinely don’t agree with what we’re doing.

Love this. Congrats on leaving Lurker town @Jim K ! Great article, Mr. Strauss knew a thing or two about marketing.

The way the company was able to stay relevant through the years is something we can all learn from.
Thanks Marc. It's a long read but well worth it with great reminders and lessons. Hope to contribute more as we go. Cheers.