• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Let's hear your BDC opinion!

Stevie

Full Sticker + Prep
Jan 17, 2019
Awards
First Name
Stevie
Hello Folks!

So I've been scrolling through the forums and stumbled upon a post from 2015 about Centralized BDCs and I'm wondering what everyone's current experience and opinion is 6 years later.

This is not to be confused with outsourced BDCs.

I work for a dealer group that has 6 different locations with a total of 8 different brands. As of now, each rooftop has their own BDC but we'll soon be acquiring another location, which has brought up the discussion of creating a centralized location.

I've been a BDC Manager/Director for about 10 years now in different locations but haven't had much experienced with operating as a central location.

I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!

What are your thoughts?

I ran a centralized BDC for 3 rooftops, based out of one. The two stores the team was not based out of, accused us, constantly, of not working their leads properly, only because of our physical location. If you are going to be centralized, I would suggest seeking a neutral ground, so nobody can have the optics of preferential treatment.

Building a process for gathering information needed (vehicle availability, photos of fresh trades, etc) is going to be key. Being away from the distraction of the store can also be helpful, and allow for impartiality, as BD Agents won't be mingling with sales staff at all, so however lead distribution works will be even more neutral than being on-site.

We have a centralized for about 1/2 of our 50 stores. The rest do their own.

So... does it make sense? No not really. Unless you:
  • Pay them well enough to want to stay.
  • Have them spend a day or two per month at the store they represent to get a feel of what they do and how it affects the store
  • Give them decent tools
  • Expect not only incoming but ideally outgoing efforts as well
  • Training
  • Encourage interaction with the group as a whole (parties, etc. etc so they feel part of a larger team)
  • Provide growth path
  • Get a great person to head it up

We changed BDC to CCC - Customer Care Centre. Sounds better. Not so much like you are the product.

Reactions: Jim K
We have a centralized for about 1/2 of our 50 stores. The rest do their own.

So... does it make sense? No not really. Unless you:
  • Pay them well enough to want to stay.
  • Have them spend a day or two per month at the store they represent to get a feel of what they do and how it affects the store
  • Give them decent tools
  • Expect not only incoming but ideally outgoing efforts as well
  • Training
  • Encourage interaction with the group as a whole (parties, etc. etc so they feel part of a larger team)
  • Provide growth path
  • Get a great person to head it up

We changed BDC to CCC - Customer Care Centre. Sounds better. Not so much like you are the product.
Agreed! When someone gets a call from an Internet Sales Manager, it sounds like they will have a battle. However, a friendly, "Hello, this is Rep, your Customer Care Manager here at Best Experience Dealer, how may I assist you? or How was your visit? Did my team treat you well?" The responses are significantly different.